Rifle Scabbard

jtaustin

I need a new scabbard to prevent what happened last year. The horse outfitter's scabbards were junk. I have a 26" barrel and 50 mm scope. I'm looking at the Trailmax Guardian scabbard in LRH Store. It accomodates up to 30" barrel. Some reviews say it's too big and bulky. The Trailmax scabbard is 10 inches shorter but says it will accomodate up to 26" barrel. Reviews say it's tight for 26" barrel.
Can anyone comment on these scabbards and which one will work best for my Colorado horseback elk hunt in October?

Hey bud. That's the same scabbard Rich had last year. Someone else borrowed another identical one from him earlier in the season. Needless to say, something happened to it during that trip and the guy ended up buying him a new one for our trip. While back there last year, the zipper lanyard pulled off Rich's and we had to create a make shift piece to fit so we could open it. It was difficult to get his gun into and out of the scabbard. I'm comparing it to the scabbards my dad and I use that are heavily padded soft cases. They are heavy duty canvas that is somewhat flexible and much easier to use. I think we have had them for 10 years or so? Not sure. My dad's gun has an extra 2-3" on it with the break and his gun fits in it ok. Mine, same length as yours, same size scope, fits in it great. I do not know the name brand though. Needless to say, I was not a big fan.

I like the idea of a harder, more protective case. But I wasn't happy with the bulk, the difficult operation when loading and unloading and the zipper issue.

I looked around a bit and didn't find anything yet. I'll go dig one out and let you know what we have so you can compare and choose.

I have a Trailmax Guardian. My rifle is 50 3/8" from barrel tip to the end of the butt pad with a 50mm Night Force. This is more accurate info than saying you have x inches of barrel. Also, when I ordered, my scabbard, they sent one and the rife wouldn't fit. I called and asked what the deal was, they said let us see if we can find something a bit longer. They sent me another scabbard that looks identical and the gun fits fine with about an 1/8" to spare.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.