Rifle Weight

mrkrinkle

Had a question for anyone who would like to chime in. I recently put together a LR hunting rig and I was curious as to what ever one else considered a acceptable weight. This one is a little heavier than I wanted, coming in at 13.8 lbs. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" MTU tube. I am thinking of cutting it down to 16.5 and running my can on it, but I don't wanna kill the LR capabilities of the round. From what I can gather, a 140 Interlock would slow to around 25xx FPS if I go with the 16.5" tube. Any information is appreciated. Thank You....

Keep that for steel and varmints. Sounds like a great steel build.

I carried around 13-16# rifles for years. Now, I carrry 9-11# rifles, and would never go back for a hunting rifle.
I've got 3 other steel rifles. Two are at 24 pounds and another at 18. I was hoping this rifle would come in around 11 or 11.5 but with the 26" tube, couldn't do it. I may look for a different profile barrel as that 26" MTU is a pig.

However, it pails in comparison to the other two of three that sport 1.250" tubes finished at 28 inches….lol

Obviously the type of hunting you are doing makes all the difference in regards to weight. It sounds like a small amount but the difference between a 13 pounds and 10 pounds in a rifle is very noticeable if you're doing much hiking at all. I personally dislike anything over 10 and prefer to be under 9 in most cases. I have a mountain rifle that is under 7 lbs. and really like that option when putting on the miles.

I've got 3 other steel rifles. Two are at 24 pounds and another at 18. I was hoping this rifle would come in around 11 or 11.5 but with the 26" tube, couldn't do it. I may look for a different profile barrel as that 26" MTU is a pig.

However, it pails in comparison to the other two of three that sport 1.250" tubes finished at 28 inches….lol
Switchbarrel with a Bartlein M24 CF!

Switchbarrel with a Bartlein M24 CF!
Obviously the type of hunting you are doing makes all the difference in regards to weight. It sounds like a small amount but the difference between a 13 pounds and 10 pounds in a rifle is very noticeable if you're doing much hiking at all. I personally dislike anything over 10 and prefer to be under 9 in most cases. I have a mountain rifle that is under 7 lbs. and really like that option when putting on the miles.
Hunting here would be, at most, mile to mile and a half hike in and the same out.

Had a question for anyone who would like to chime in. I recently put together a LR hunting rig and I was curious as to what ever one else considered a acceptable weight. This one is a little heavier than I wanted, coming in at 13.8 lbs. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" MTU tube. I am thinking of cutting it down to 16.5 and running my can on it, but I don't wanna kill the LR capabilities of the round. From what I can gather, a 140 Interlock would slow to around 25xx FPS if I go with the 16.5" tube. Any information is appreciated. Thank You....
I use a cooper model 92 in 7mm with scope 7lbs

Build a different gun. Magnum caliber with a break and good recoil pad. 9-10lbs max all finished.

Agree, would be easier and more effective to build another. I like 8-9lbs all up. After my first elk hunt, I've realized barrel length matters too. In and out of the truck/ATV all the time, walking through thick vegetation, it was just a pain.

9-12lbs my 300 mag proof barre; bighorn action and AG adj chek and 4 way but is a bit heavyer at 12 1/2 but it works and much better then the old AI

If the hike in isn't bad (especially the vertical) heavier is better. Put it in a Kifaru Gun Bearer and go!

We generally don't have that luxury on hike in. My light deer/sheep etc. Kimber 6.5CM is under 8lbs all in and I will get it closer to 7lbs. before I'm done. Building a 300 PRC ~10lbs. Steel/varmint 6mm approaching 20lbs but I'm not packing that far with it.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on a different level with regard to weight than me…
I've settled on 8-9lbs loaded and RTH for hunting rifles. It's not too much to carry in hand all day and I can shoot well off a pack with that weight.
A bench gun knows no weight limit and your Creedmoor sounds more like a tool for that with a MTU barrel.