Rifle Weight

After I built a 5.5 lb rifle, I feel the weight of my 12 lb. If I'm strapping to a pack, the weight isn't too bad. If I'm carrying in my hand, lighter is better. I think my latest goal is between 7 and 9 lbs fully loaded. I have some more testing to do with magnum calibers and gun weights.

I'm about in agreement with everyone about needing something lighter. However, I'm stubborn, so I'm gonna put it in my pack scabbard and lug it around a bit to see how it works. My hike in would be to one spot as I'm not in as big of country as people out west. I wouldn't be chasing animals to set up for a shot. Just hike in, get set up and wait. I'm sure that is much different then a lot of others adding to this post. However, I do appreciate all the responses.

I started last year to lighten up my 7mag, went to a McMillan hunters edge, tally 1 piece rings, still has a muzzle brake, wears a vortex razor hd lht comes in a tad over 8.5 lbs. all loaded up. This gets me out to 700 yards but honestly have never had to shoot past 400 yards, elk and deer. This year carrying it over and through rough terrain posed no stress on my aging body and will stick with it until my mood changes on how I need to hunt

At 69, finally gave up the heavier STW for the .280 A.I. on hunting hikes. On targets, I really like the new .280 a.i. for shots under 600; with the break it is as accurate as I can shoot. For over 600 yds, the weight and longer barrel of the STW and the extra velocity really make a difference -just gets to be a bit heavy after a long day of hiking. 280 A.I. feels like a feather in comparison. Could shave about 1/2 lb more off the .280 ai with an even lighter scope like the varx2 in the 2x7. Just my 2 cents. Good shooting everyone!

Attachments

• g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
It all depends for me, and my max has always been 11lb loaded, bipod, sling, scope, and ready to go hunt. I have tried lighter and heavier and generally still stay in the rifle alone at 8lb and maybe 8lb 6oz. I packed a Sendero for a couple years when I was much much younger and in better shape and IT FLAT SUCKED. If Im hunting and thinking anything about the rifles weight or issues my mind is not where I want it thinking wise. I'm super intrigued to finally hunt with my UL Savage in 28N as it is easily the lightest mag rifle I have ever had and will be the lightest I have ever hunted with. Ready to hunt 8lb 15oz or 9lb and the one its replacing is 10lb 8oz.

Build a different gun. Magnum caliber with a break and good recoil pad. 9-10lbs max all finished.

Keep that for steel and varmints. Sounds like a great steel build.

I carried around 13-16# rifles for years. Now, I carrry 9-11# rifles, and would never go back for a hunting rifle.

What these gentleman are trying to say is that you need a larger cartridge for long range hunting, and depends what long range is for you. Is it 500 yds, 700 yds, or a 1,000 yds?

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 CM but for larger game its not effective at ranges past 500 yds.

I may be a little off but your rifle wil be good out to 500 yds for Elk and maybe 700 yds for deer, around there depending elevation.

Again, depends what long range is for you.

That said, I like my rifles between 10 and 11 lbs

10lbs loaded is about right for me. I can hold it nice and steady off hand, but it still lets me spot impacts unbraked in lighter calibers (25-06, 25cm, and now 25-284).

Any heavier and I have a hard time holding it steady offhand.

I have an AR10 in 243win complete weighs 15.5lbs. That's just nuts! I'm trying to build a 338lm around 6-6.5# without a scope, but barrel length I want keeps the weight up. 8# ttl would be nice, but reality be closer to 9 or just over.

Man, that might be nice once in a while.

We did 13.28 miles opening day of pronghorn season this year. But....we did go 5 for 5 on opening day. So didn't need to repeat on day 2!
Well done! I put on about 11 miles a day for 2 days and didn't get my pronghorn until mostly through 3rd day. Great stalks with 10 lbs suppressed Tikka. Started wishing it was a bit lighter.

What these gentleman are trying to say is that you need a larger cartridge for long range hunting, and depends what long range is for you. Is it 500 yds, 700 yds, or a 1,000 yds?

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 CM but for larger game its not effective at ranges past 500 yds.

I may be a little off but your rifle wil be good out to 500 yds for Elk and maybe 700 yds for deer, around there depending elevation.

Again, depends what long range is for you.

That said, I like my rifles between 10 and 11 lbs
One farm I hunt here in KY has shots out to 800. However, around here, a long shot will be in the 600 range. The deer I took this past Saturday was 412. I've taken everyone's advice and have the rifle up for sale, and will build a lighter rifle. I'm really gonna try and stay with 6.5 because I have so much reloading components for 6.5.

Recent Posts