Rifle Weight

If you are still thinking can. Go 22-24" the creed was made for around a 22" if I remember correctly. It doesn't gain a ton of speed like some overbores after that. I have a 22" and with a can it's pretty long still. But you could always pack in then screw it on when setup.

So now we are "weight shaming" rifles? God help us if CNN finds this out! Never truly understand this. Build the rifle to specs that meet your range needs and whatever the weight is deal with it by removing weight elsewhere. Use your pack to carry it, buy a better pack, buy a better sling, slim down your gadgets, heck slim down yourself! Seriously, we are talking a couple pounds not couple tons! I am 71 and still carry rifles in 10-12lb range easily. Are they heavy? Yes but so are my size 16H Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots...which are lot heavier😂. (Have at it @skipglo!)

IMO rifle weight is more of a mental challenge than physical challenge. Let er rip!😂

Old eastern hunter here. Based on the way I felt after hiking a couple of miles in with a tree stand, back pack, and rifle on my back and shoulders, I definitely am glad I did not take a heavy rifle. It all depends on where you hunt and what you are hunting for. Every lb is felt on this old body after a mile or two. Put in 6 or 7 miles yesterday with I would guess 55 lbs on my back, and thought I was older than I actually am.

The tree stand is over 20lbs. I have problem with trying to carry everything that I may need on full day hunt. Thankful that the stand is really comfortable so I can nap once I get up the tree. Public land so packing in the stand and leaving it is risky.

So now we are "weight shaming" rifles? God help us if CNN finds this out! Never truly understand this. Build the rifle to specs that meet your range needs and whatever the weight is deal with it by removing weight elsewhere. Use your pack to carry it, buy a better pack, buy a better sling, slim down your gadgets, heck slim down yourself! Seriously, we are talking a couple pounds not couple tons! I am 71 and still carry rifles in 10-12lb range easily. Are they heavy? Yes but so are my size 16H Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots...which are lot heavier😂. (Have at it @skipglo!)

IMO rifle weight is more of a mental challenge than physical challenge. Let er rip!😂
Just some clarification please. I'm a little confused by your post and as I age is seems it gets worse. Are you saying to build and or buy a rifle to my accuracy wants, weight wants, and or both combined into one? Just for me there is a substantial difference in rifle handling mobility and packing ergonomics let alone pure weight between a 15lb rifle or a 10lb one.

This was my LAST season of carrying heavy hunting sticks, up and over Colorado vertical mountains! As much as I love my 13-14-15 rigs, it's time to lighten the rifles, for me. Investing in carbon fiber barrels. The sheep rifle builds are gonna happen sooner than I had expected.
7lb carbon 25 creed? 😍

Okay.....here goes....you ain't carrying nothin...it's all strapped across the front of your ATW ( for those who haven't been following us...All Terrain WALKER)...all but the floatation devices attached to your ankles!

Just some clarification please. I'm a little confused by your post and as I age is seems it gets worse. Are you saying to build and or buy a rifle to my accuracy wants, weight wants, and or both combined into one? Just for me there is a substantial difference in rifle handling mobility and packing ergonomics let alone pure weight between a 15lb rifle or a 10lb one.
Yes, my thoughts are rifle need first then adjust my total weight to accommodate the weight of the rifle. Totally agree there is a difference between 10 and 15 lb rifles. My thoughts are I won't prob go below 10 to save lbs to a 6.5lb rifle. I don't consider 10 as a "lightweight" rifle though maybe to my 12's prob so.

Last edited:
@Reelamin stated the real point to carry is pure ergonomics. We spend $$$$ on all sorts of gear but there are lots of really good options to carry rifles easier with less stress on your body. I use my Badlands to carry rifle most of the time and takes very little effort to release it from pack.

But if another rifle is the "game" and it happens to be lighter, why not? Always can use another rifle.