Rifle dilemma….

GetReel

So I have a nice rifle (Christensen ELR 300WM, that I have swapped the stock for a McMillian Rem Hunter).
Honestly, this rifle does not get me excited. Idk what it is. I know for sure I want to put a different stock on again (leaning AG adjustable Chalk Branch).
Even though the 300WM is a tried and true cartridge, I feel it leaves room on the table. Maybe not?. If I switch, I'm thinking 300WSM, 300 Sherman, 300 Sherman Max, 300 SAUM…. I have a plethora of Berger 215's I want to use it with.
I'm not saying any of these other cartridges are more powerful but maybe more efficient. I have no desire to shoot shelf ammunition.
So if I get a new stock and a new barrel, why not just start over with a custom action too?

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I don't think I want an overbore but won't rule it out.

So I have a nice rifle (Christensen ELR 300WM, that I have swapped the stock for a McMillian Rem Hunter).
Honestly, this rifle does not get me excited. Idk what it is. I know for sure I want to put a different stock on again (leaning AG adjustable Chalk Branch).
Even though the 300WM is a tried and true cartridge, I feel it leaves room on the table. Maybe not?. If I switch, I'm thinking 300WSM, 300 Sherman, 300 Sherman Max, 300 SAUM…. I have a plethora of Berger 215's I want to use it with.
I'm not saying any of these other cartridges are more powerful but maybe more efficient. I have no desire to shoot shelf ammunition.
So if I get a new stock and a new barrel, why not just start over with a custom action too?

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I don't think I want an overbore but won't rule it out.
Avoid short action SAAMI cartridges with heavy for caliber bullets. If you think the Win Mag leaves something on the table, a WSM or SAUM with a 215gr VLD will guarantee your meal to be untouched. You'll have to stuff the boattail so deep in those short cases that velocity will suffer greatly. The short magnums run with the big dog in lighter weight profiles, but the 300 Win starts to separate itself from its shorter kinfolk around the 180grain mark. If you want more performance/efficiency, check out the .300 PRC. It's built to get as much performance as you can get out of a heavy .30cal bullet. The Shermans will be better than the short mags and the Max probably better than the PRC if you can get enough brass and perform any final forming that may or may not be necessary. The .30 Nosler is also a very efficient design with more performance than the .300 Win. If you're trying to go lower in powder consumption without sacrificing performance, the Sherman would probably be the ticket, brass permitting.

Avoid short action SAAMI cartridges with heavy for caliber bullets. If you think the Win Mag leaves something on the table, a WSM or SAUM with a 215gr VLD will guarantee your meal to be untouched. You'll have to stuff the boattail so deep in those short cases that velocity will suffer greatly. The short magnums run with the big dog in lighter weight profiles, but the 300 Win starts to separate itself from its shorter kinfolk around the 180grain mark. If you want more performance/efficiency, check out the .300 PRC. It's built to get as much performance as you can get out of a heavy .30cal bullet. The Shermans will be better than the short mags and the Max probably better than the PRC if you can get enough brass and perform any final forming that may or may not be necessary. The .30 Nosler is also a very efficient design with more performance than the .300 Win. If you're trying to go lower in powder consumption without sacrificing performance, the Sherman would probably be the ticket, brass permitting.
I don't want a PRC anything, I like to be somewhat different so a Sherman offering would be fun. A 30 Nosler throated accordingly would be a power house offering.
Using a short case I'd have it throated accordingly too. I don't care if I don't quite get the performance of a 300 WM.
When I mentioned efficiency, I guess I was meaning case design.

I don't want a PRC anything, I like to be somewhat different so a Sherman offering would be fun. A 30 Nosler throated accordingly would be a power house offering.
Using a short case I'd have it throated accordingly too. I don't care if I don't quite get the performance of a 300 WM.
You would do fine with any of your choices with the custom modifications you mention. The SAUM is quite inherently accurate in my experience with a few of them. Sounds like a Sherman would be a good fit for you, also. My .30 Nosler came with a decent amount of freebore without mods, but you may want even more. I can't recall the exact length and am too lazy to look it back up, but the .30 Nos is essentially a very slightly improved .300 Dakota with few outward changes. The main changes is the .010" reduction in head diameter to make it fit a standard magnum boltface without having to open up the face slightly.

Having said all this, my gunsmith that built my Dakota uses a 300 WSM that he modified similar to your plans. He's made some crazy long shots and swears by it after 10 years now. You can't go wrong provided you choose the correct action length and keep brass readily available for your application. Sounds like an intriguing undertaking. I prefer being different myself, and completely understand!

I actually have a AG Adjustable Chalk that I'm fixing to post to sell if you're interested. And a 300 WM sits in it now lol.

Then go with your own wildcat.

Then go with your own wildcat.
I need to give Rich? A call when I'm ready and discuss. Sounds like I wouldn't need to fireform brass now, maybe at least for some of his cartridges. I need to ask about brass and dies ext.
I also have been looking hard at a 7mm offering. It would be easy to trade my 215's for some 180-195 .284cal bullets. But since already have a custom 6.5x284 Norma built for the 156's, keeping it as a 30 cal will spread the gap and overlap much much less.

I need to give Rich? A call when I'm ready and discuss. Sounds like I wouldn't need to fireform brass now, maybe at least for some of his cartridges. I need to ask about brass and dies ext.
I also have been looking hard at a 7mm offering. It would be easy to trade my 215's for some 180-195 .284cal bullets. But since already have a custom 6.5x284 Norma built for the 156's, keeping it as a 30 cal will spread the gap and overlap much much less.
I thought you said ...
I like to be somewhat different

I thought you said ...
Ya…. That's why I don't want a PRC offering. I only personally know 1 other person that shoots the 6.5x284 where I live and I don't know anyone who shoots a 30 Nosler or a Sherman cartridge. talk to 100 ppl at the range or in a sporting goods store up here and 99 of them have a PRC…
I'm still leaning 99% to a Sherman cartridge. (To me, that's different)