Rifle dilemma….

I get you don't want to go prc but it'd be a more logical extension of a 300 win mag, especially factoring in 215s.

In the world before xm actions I played a lot with the wsm and that class bullet. Always felt like it ate up so much case and in turn way more performance than made me happy. Granted if a step down in scoot is no problem then they do just fine, or xm and win back some case.

Then go with your own wildcat.
I've done this too many times! LOL! I don't recommend it to anyone without lots of extra money and time. That said, I seem to keep doing it... sigh. I think it becomes addictive. I've done my part to keep JGS and Manson Precision open and prosperous. I have part 10 days off after today, and intend to get a couple of my projects finished. To the OP, the .308 Norma (not the .300 Norma, but that, too - just requires specialized actions and feeding mods) is not one to sleep on. You might could Ackley Improve it and gain a smidge more efficiency and brass is harder/more expensive to find, but I got a batch trying to turn it into an improved version in .277 awhile back, but need better tooling to form cases.

Also, glaring in neon flashing print on the cartridge list is the .300 Weatherby, which is perhaps the epitome of efficiency. Agreed that it's not as sexy as it was 30 or 40 years ago (but who is??), and it's not uncommon, and it can be a bear to find a load it will shoot. However, if a man was to shorten the freebore back to the realm reality where you wouldn't need a true 4" box mag to load it from, it would be an ideal launchpad for your 215gr VLDs with it's long neck, mimimal taper, and convex shoulder. Using the freebore of the 6.5x300 Wby in a .300 version would put you right where you needed to be! Lots of possibilities!

I get you don't want to go prc but it'd be a more logical extension of a 300 win mag, especially factoring in 215s.

In the world before xm actions I played a lot with the wsm and that class bullet. Always felt like it ate up so much case and in turn way more performance than made me happy. Granted if a step down in scoot is no problem then they do just fine, or xm and win back some case.
I said the same thing, but the OP plans to modify the throat of the WSM (if it were used) to account for the problem of intrusion on capacity. That said, he would likely need at least an XM, if not a long action. I think really it does boil down to what action he wants and how much brass he can get for whatever is chosen. Any of his choices would work fine if modified as he described. It would just be a shame to do the work and find out the magazine is 0.100" too short (or whatever) when he figures out the sweet spot for the seating depth off the lands. Ask me how I know (Mr. .338 Edge project in standard length 700 magnum action... ahh-HHMMM). Bought lessons are sometimes the best, but they always come with second guessing how they could have been avoided!

I've done this too many times! LOL! I don't recommend it to anyone without lots of extra money and time. That said, I seem to keep doing it... sigh. I think it becomes addictive. I've done my part to keep JGS and Manson Precision open and prosperous. I have part 10 days off after today, and intend to get a couple of my projects finished. To the OP, the .308 Norma (not the .300 Norma, but that, too - just requires specialized actions and feeding mods) is not one to sleep on. You might could Ackley Improve it and gain a smidge more efficiency and brass is harder/more expensive to find, but I got a batch trying to turn it into an improved version in .277 awhile back, but need better tooling to form cases.

Also, glaring in neon flashing print on the cartridge list is the .300 Weatherby, which is perhaps the epitome of efficiency. Agreed that it's not as sexy as it was 30 or 40 years ago (but who is??), and it's not uncommon, and it can be a bear to find a load it will shoot. However, if a man was to shorten the freebore back to the realm reality where you wouldn't need a true 4" box mag to load it from, it would be an ideal launchpad for your 215gr VLDs with it's long neck, mimimal taper, and convex shoulder. Using the freebore of the 6.5x300 Wby in a .300 version would put you right where you needed to be! Lots of possibilities!
Perhaps, but one has to pay to play if one genuinely wants to be different. If you think .300 WBY is the epitome of efficiency, it still has an opportunity for improvement. Below is my.30 LARA next to .300 WBY.

.300 WBTY vs .30 LARA.jpg

Cheers!

So I have a nice rifle (Christensen ELR 300WM, that I have swapped the stock for a McMillian Rem Hunter).
Honestly, this rifle does not get me excited. Idk what it is. I know for sure I want to put a different stock on again (leaning AG adjustable Chalk Branch).
Even though the 300WM is a tried and true cartridge, I feel it leaves room on the table. Maybe not?. If I switch, I'm thinking 300WSM, 300 Sherman, 300 Sherman Max, 300 SAUM…. I have a plethora of Berger 215's I want to use it with.
I'm not saying any of these other cartridges are more powerful but maybe more efficient. I have no desire to shoot shelf ammunition.
So if I get a new stock and a new barrel, why not just start over with a custom action too?

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc. I don't think I want an overbore but won't rule it out.
GetReel, Besides being different; let's come at this from a different angle and maybe start with the end-goal and work backwards.

What specifically do you want to hunt with this gun?

How will any of the options improve your hunting?

Will your game include dangerous critters? If so, maybe you want to consider larger caliber than .300?

Obviously, money is no impediment to you, but if you were less monetarily advantaged, how differently would you approach the problem?

GetReel, Besides being different; let's come at this from a different angle and maybe start with the end-goal and work backwards.

What specifically do you want to hunt with this gun?

How will any of the options improve your hunting?

Will your game include dangerous critters? If so, maybe you want to consider larger caliber than .300?

Obviously, money is no impediment to you, but if you were less monetarily advantaged, how differently would you approach the problem?
End goal of the rifle is to hopefully take on an elk hunt. Hoping to get drawn for a tag in MT next year. my thoughts have always been to have 1500 ft/lbs energy at 1000 but I'm not even there now. I am only getting to that 1500 around 900yrds. But I will only practice at that distance, I don't think I could get myself to take a shot on game that far. At least right now anyway. Hope to someday change that. So my energy criteria is really a moot point, that's why I don't mind if I picked a cartridge that was slightly less power anyway. I ultimately want to be able to practice at longer distances and just improve as a shooter at distance.

How will the options improve my hunting, can't say it will but can't say it wont. cant say for the unknown.

No dangerous game.

Money is important. I don't have an endless supply. I would be selling a rifle to start the funding and save the rest. (It took me 2 years to save to build my 6.5x284). I can't help it if I just simply like nice rifles. Same goes for my fishing stuff. I had a staff position with Quantum Fishing and because I wanted nicer fishing rods, I started a small business and started building my own. My cost per rod went through the roof but it was all about something nicer, lighter, more sensitiv, yada yada yada. Same goes for rifles. I love guns and I have started downsizing my collection from mediocre guns to a few really nice ones.

One of the things I have considered is; Would a different cartridge allow the use of a powder other than fairy dust? I have 2 lbs of H1000 and if I continue with a 300WM, that will burn up in roughly 150 rounds +/-.

I know I will be using my current rifle for a solid year to two years before I change.

It's -40 wind chill here in ND all week and i work from home, my phone/emails have been very slow this week so here I am, debating, planning, researching, learning as much as I can.

Do you have a carry weight limit or is that not a factor for your kind of hunting? Some carry from truck to nearby tripod, so don't have a weight limit.
Others may carry a few miles to get a shot.

Current rifle configuration is a Christensen ELR 300WM, 26" CF barrel, Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 topped with a Banish 30 suppressor. It's not a heavy rifle but cumbersome with the can.
My 6.5x284 I had built lightweight so if I'm packing for miles that will be my gun I grab. This one, with optic, id like to stay between below 12 lbs as a total package.

End goal of the rifle is to hopefully take on an elk hunt. Hoping to get drawn for a tag in MT next year. my thoughts have always been to have 1500 ft/lbs energy at 1000 but I'm not even there now. I am only getting to that 1500 around 900yrds. But I will only practice at that distance, I don't think I could get myself to take a shot on game that far. At least right now anyway. Hope to someday change that. So my energy criteria is really a moot point, that's why I don't mind if I picked a cartridge that was slightly less power anyway. I ultimately want to be able to practice at longer distances and just improve as a shooter at distance.

How will the options improve my hunting, can't say it will but can't say it wont. cant say for the unknown.

No dangerous game.

Money is important. I don't have an endless supply. I would be selling a rifle to start the funding and save the rest. (It took me 2 years to save to build my 6.5x284). I can't help it if I just simply like nice rifles. Same goes for my fishing stuff. I had a staff position with Quantum Fishing and because I wanted nicer fishing rods, I started a small business and started building my own. My cost per rod went through the roof but it was all about something nicer, lighter, more sensitiv, yada yada yada. Same goes for rifles. I love guns and I have started downsizing my collection from mediocre guns to a few really nice ones.

One of the things I have considered is; Would a different cartridge allow the use of a powder other than fairy dust? I have 2 lbs of H1000 and if I continue with a 300WM, that will burn up in roughly 150 rounds +/-.

I know I will be using my current rifle for a solid year to two years before I change.

It's -40 wind chill here in ND all week and i work from home, my phone/emails have been very slow this week so here I am, debating, planning, researching, learning as much as I can.
Current rifle configuration is a Christensen ELR 300WM, 26" CF barrel, Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50 topped with a Banish 30 suppressor. It's not a heavy rifle but cumbersome with the can.
My 6.5x284 I had built lightweight so if I'm packing for miles that will be my gun I grab. This one, with optic, id like to stay between below 12 lbs as a total package.
Sorry you are not excited about your rifle, but if money is important, as you noted, the .300 WM and the 215 combinations will meet your end goal; 1500 FT- LBS at 1000 yards. Below is my current.300 WSM load with 215 out of 24" and your 26" and .300 WM should easily exceed my load.

1671887590646.png

If you have not seen it yet, there is a thread by BROZ here and LRO with many kills beyond 1000Y on deer and elk.

Regarding powder options, don't be afraid to try other powders that are more readily available (i.e., MAGPRO, Magnum, LRT, etc.); it might just surprise you. We can only advise, but you have the ultimate decision to find a resolution to your rifle dilemma. Good luck!

Sorry you are not excited about your rifle, but if money is important, as you noted, the .300 WM and the 215 combinations will meet your end goal; 1500 FT- LBS at 1000 yards. Below is my current.300 WSM load with 215 out of 24" and your 26" and .300 WM should easily exceed my load.

View attachment 421504

If you have not seen it yet, there is a thread by BROZ here and LRO with many kills beyond 1000Y on deer and elk.

Regarding powder options, don't be afraid to try other powders that are more readily available (i.e., MAGPRO, Magnum, LRT, etc.); it might just surprise you. We can only advise, but you have the ultimate decision to find a resolution to your rifle dilemma. Good luck!
Since I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out what I ultimately want, I know it will be awhile till I actually proceed with the project. I did buy the exact stock I was looking at from Longtine88 to drop my barreled action into. I'll sell my McMillian and not be out much so I'm happy there. And when I start the process, sell the rifle, I think it will sell easier with the AG Chalk stock so that's also better.

I will 100% say, I get ahead of myself ALOT! I know what I want and I start thinking and researching and asking questions way before I'm ready to move forward. I get excited about the end result in my mind.

My istelok app shows different data with same MV

Attachments

• 959D3DC4-9591-4669-ABC4-EADED7E216C0.jpeg
    959D3DC4-9591-4669-ABC4-EADED7E216C0.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 19
Since I'm in the beginning stages of figuring out what I ultimately want, I know it will be awhile till I actually proceed with the project. I did buy the exact stock I was looking at from Longtine88 to drop my barreled action into. I'll sell my McMillian and not be out much so I'm happy there. And when I start the process, sell the rifle, I think it will sell easier with the AG Chalk stock so that's also better.

I will 100% say, I get ahead of myself ALOT! I know what I want and I start thinking and researching and asking questions way before I'm ready to move forward. I get excited about the end result in my mind.

My istelok app shows different data with same MV
I do not know the exact information you entered, so I cannot comment. I used Berger's ballistic computer, and you can see all the pertinent information for my setup.