New stock dilemma

newmexkid

Well, yesterday was not a good day. I was all set to order one of Stocky's new LR composite stocks with the aluminum block for $199 for the REM. 700. Just before ordering, something told me to check the rifle whose action I will be using for a new build. I haven't used this rifle in at least 15 years. It is a REM 700 DBM! I thought it was a hinged floor plate. So...I call Stocky's and was told the stock I wanted would not fit with the DBM. Bummer! They suggested a Wyatt conversion kit, (which they sell for around $260). I do some searching and find at Cabela's a product called, "Kwik Klip" conversion kit for about $109. So...I call Stocky's again. I ask if they have heard of the Kwik Klip product. The lady says she has heard of it and thinks it will not fit the new stock. So I ask the following: If the Wyatt's kit and the Kwik Klip are both for the REM 700 why won't both work? She then states that the Wyatt's was made specifically for the new stock. The Wyatt's has been around a while and the new stock just came out. How can that be? I must give credit to the young lady as she was very courteous and I treated her likewise. Any ideas?

Funny as I just "winged" changing a Rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag to a detachable system.

I found a cheap 700 LA BDL stock and then went to Cabelas and purchased the Kwik Klip system. It dropped right into the BDL and feeds awesome. Haven't shot the rifle yet but it looks to be a nice simple solution.

So all that being said, I believe all you would have to do is purchase a BDL stock of your choice (not sure if Stocky's new stock has a BDL option) and the Kwik Klip should drop right in.

Hope that helps.

I am looking at a drop in Detachable Bottom Metal also for my 6.5 CM Rem 700.----or a solution to feeding issues. I polished the feed rails & transitions to the ramp but once in a while the bolt slides over the cartridge----failing to chamber that round.
I like the idea of the center position of the cartridge in relation to the bore with the DBM.
I looked at the HS Product...Very $$$.
OR-Maybe I need to look a different BDL
Open for suggestions. Rem 700 is new. The Rem 700 is new to me also. Still learning!

I just took delivery of a new B&C long range hunter that was modified to fit my 700 factory DBM. I think it was an additional $20-25. Stock came in around $310 before shipping. I wanted to keep the factory DBM to save money and because it is long enough to load 215 Bergers where my 300WM likes them (3.653"). Frustrated with not finding anything on line, I gave B&C a call and had the stock in my hands in 12 days during a pandemic.
1CBC9B92-EDB8-41C7-8391-CD6B6BDD69D0.jpeg

Why not just order the BDL stock, and a BDL bottom metal/mag box/spring/follower?

Nothing different in the action itself.

I have swapped back and forth between DBM & BDL a bunch with numerous R700 actions.

I am looking at a drop in Detachable Bottom Metal also for my 6.5 CM Rem 700.----or a solution to feeding issues. I polished the feed rails & transitions to the ramp but once in a while the bolt slides over the cartridge----failing to chamber that round.
I like the idea of the center position of the cartridge in relation to the bore with the DBM.
Open for suggestions. Rem 700 is new. The Rem 700 is new to me also. Still learning!
Adjust the feed lips on the magazine box. Open them up just a touch.
It will allow the cartridge to ride higher, and the bolt to catch the rim easier.

Last edited:
Take a look at Wyatt's magazine boxes. They will tie your bdl into a single stack feed and you won't have to get a DBM if you don't want one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.