A dilemma with my hound

Hi all,

I'm just about to move out to my new house, situated on 33 acres of a parceled-out 165 acre farm. I bought the property in 2014. I'm the last to build and have neighbors on both sides that are like-minded hunters and have been cultivating their parcels (about the same size) for deer habitat. We got food plots, soy beans, corn fields, etc., all around us in Ag retention. My problem: my wife and kids couldn't resist getting a hound in 2015 (1/2 beagle, 1/2 boxer) and she's demonstrated that she has a very strong instinct to run deer. I don't think I am going to be able to break her of it when we move out there later this summer. I've discussed giving her up (she is 4) with my wife but her and the kids won't hear of it. I like her too but I fear she is going to really hamper our efforts to cultivate good habitat where deer feel safe on our farm. We all know what a dog in the woods does to disrupt a bow hunt. My wife wants to try an electric fence, but guess what happens when you got a scent hound on one side of an electric fence and a rabbit (or deer) on the other? The hound says the heck with it and takes the hit. At least that's been my experience as a hound owner in the past. Anybody got any suggestions on how I can manage this dog and keep everyone happy?
I use Dogtra's on my bird dog and they are awesome. Tritronics used to be awesome and then they sold out to garmin I think - since then their quality has gone down hill (thats just my opinion). A little conditioning and a training collar is a god send for dog training. My GSP very seldom needs more than vibration mode now. I started him on the dogtra at 6 months old.

The underground wire might work..But only where it's at? With a collar you can show the dog deer in a lot of situations. Places..Day/Dark..You want it to avoid all deer!
Think about taking him where there are deer AND rabbits let him run rabbits but not deer..He needs to chase! It burns me up when people sat I have a "good" dog..There are no good dogs..only good owners! I work with them and spend a lot of time and money! That's why I have good dogs.

Last edited:
I hunted with coon hounds for years and I've never seen a hound that couldn't be broke from running deer . An e-collar is your best friend but they have to be used wisely or you can really mess up dog.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.