Rifle canting and levels

Joefrazell

Having some issuse with poi going right as distance increase. I've got a level on optic. Optic is a vortex viper hs lr 4-16x44. It's on a Remington sendero in .300 win.

Zeroed at 100 at 489 last night I was 6" right and at 769 about 10" right.

I've got the reticle leveled using a plum line at 100 yards. I believe its level.

I'm not sure how level my rifle is to the scope itself. I've never felt that to be important?? Would this not being completely level cause this much poi drift? Please help!?

Hi Joe,
It doesn't matter if ur scope is level to ur rifle as long as u have your scope level and your level trued to the scope which it sounds like you do then you're good to go.
Male sure ur compensating for spin drift.

Your zero could be off to the right. It happens, I've been slinging lead with my 300 wby then yesterday the zero seemed off so I moved it 5 clicks down right on at 200 and 500 after dialing. I have no idea what happened?
I don't know what kind of rig ur shooting buts it's a 300 magnum so recoil exists. Are you behind the gun or twisted to the left so the gun recoils to the right when you fire, causing minor shifts in poi to the right.
These are just some thoughts to try and help. Shoot again too, you might have had a bad night shooting it's happened to me. Good luck

you might try running a tall target test at 100 yds to see if your scope adjustments track to the reticle.

Having some issuse with poi going right as distance increase. I've got a level on optic. Optic is a vortex viper hs lr 4-16x44. It's on a Remington sendero in .300 win.

Zeroed at 100 at 489 last night I was 6" right and at 769 about 10" right.

I've got the reticle leveled using a plum line at 100 yards. I believe its level.

I'm not sure how level my rifle is to the scope itself. I've never felt that to be important?? Would this not being completely level cause this much poi drift? Please help!?
If you didn't level your rifle at the same time you were leveling the scope odds are it's off.

You could also very easily have an issue with your wind call or else the scope may not be tracking right. 3 out of 5 Vortex Vipers I bought would not track right at all and even though the service was great it really soured me on them.

Yeah I'm not sure. I wentered out this evening and made sure scope reticle and level were true. Made an adjustment but not helping. I'm shooting with no wind. I'm really confused here. I made a plum line on a target at 120 yrds and it seemed to track true. Put gun in a vise I made and adjusted the scope up and down and seemed to stay right on the plum line. It's been zeroed at 100.

Yeah I'm not sure. I wentered out this evening and made sure scope reticle and level were true. Made an adjustment but not helping. I'm shooting with no wind. I'm really confused here. I made a plum line on a target at 120 yrds and it seemed to track true. Put gun in a vise I made and adjusted the scope up and down and seemed to stay right on the plum line. It's been zeroed at 100.
Are you sure it was leveled to the action in the vice?

if your drawing a line on a target, how are you making sure the target is square? when i did mine i hung a plump bob on a string and lined up to the string. i was only about 20 yards from the string.

if your drawing a line on a target, how are you making sure the target is square? when i did mine i hung a plump bob on a string and lined up to the string. i was only about 20 yards from the string.

To draw your target, say you are using some poster board or a big piece of card board.

Measure from one of the factory edges and mark 3 equally spaced dogs on a horizontal line at the top and bottom then draw straight lines corresponding to each pair top to bottom.

When you set the target in the field, use a level to ensue you have your lines perfectly plum.

Last edited:
Are you sure it was leveled to the action in the vice?
Joe let me clarify.

When you mounted and set up your scope how did you square it to the receiver/bore?

If at this step you don't have the scope leveled true to the bore you are creating an error at that point such that when you put your level on the scope and square it to the target there will still be an error.

I agree with the statements that you must have your scope level to the action of the rifle. If it is not you will run on an angle to the world when dialing for drop.

That said you will encounter some spin drift to the right as you move farther down range. Although not as much as you are drifting. Someone else mentioned your zero. I am thinking it is very possible that you have all of these things going on.

Steve

I'm using a 3 foot level to draw the plum line

Joe let me clarify.

When you mounted and set up your scope how did you square it to the receiver/bore?

If at this step you don't have the scope leveled true to the bore you are creating an error at that point such that when you put your level on the scope and square it to the target there will still be an error.

I believe this to be my issue. Will try this next

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.