rifle/caliber help. 7mm,30,338??

Thanks for all the help guys. As stated I can handle some weight up to 15lbs. I already shoot a break and I love it. I was looking for info because i was running my 300 wby against his 7mm which do to the .659 berger bc of the 7mm kicks my 300's butt no matter what I shoot thru it. The only thing I win in is bullet drop. So i was going to get another rifle in a 7mm. But i've alway had the wants for a 338 lapua ever since i was in the military so I was thinking that maybe the time was now. So after everything said I think I'm just going to use the 300 one more year and start a 338 full custom build. Just not sure what 338 to use. I didnt realize how many options there was lapu,edge,rum. idk but a guy could drive himself crazy for sure!!! If you guys still would like to help and have ifo one the 338 feel free to send me some info speed, bullet, barrel lenght, type of 338. THANKS TO ALL

I used to shoot a 300 WBY just a touch faster than what you were but not by much, going to a 270 WSM launching a .650-.700 BC bullet 3000fps plus was a major upgrade when bullets were put on game, I could never go back!!! I've got one 338 RUM built and a second one waiting on a barrel, both will run about 12.5 lbs ready to hunt with 300gr Berger OTM's at 2800fps. Next 338 will be a Lapua or Norma!!

Another idea is to get rid of your rifle you have now and get a Sendero or the new long range hunting rifle from Remington in .300wm or .300RUM. It would give you a good rifle for the start of a build, unless your a Weatherby fan, and it will probably be a bit more accurate then what you have now.

Another idea is to get rid of your rifle you have now and get a Sendero or the new long range hunting rifle from Remington in .300wm or .300RUM. It would give you a good rifle for the start of a build, unless your a Weatherby fan, and it will probably be a bit more accurate then what you have now.

I really have the itch for the 338 lapu. I just dont know what im getting into as far as a custome build. Can i build that off the sendero think i read that the 700 wouldn't work or should i just shoot the 300 wby one more year. put that money towards building the 338 lapua for the next trip. My thing has always been do it write the first time. I've looked at custom actions, barrels. Money gets it all done I just want to put it in all the right places. I don't mind building it over time.

If I were you, I would save up the money. The custom gun is going to be well worth it. I would go with a 338 Lapua. The edges are really nice but it is a headache (at least to me) reloading them. You can buy the lapua brass ready to go. I am waiting on my TAC338 stiller action, Mcmillan A-3 stock and my Hart barrel to be finished. Then its off to the smith to be put together. If you want something that you wont be thinking twice about after you buy it then go custom. It will be worth it.

If you are going to shoot rifle for a bit longer try some berger 210 Mvld .631 BC OR THE 230 hyb. OTM .719 BC, threads are up on them

You can build a Lapua on a Remington action and it's done all the time. Most don't really recommend it though because of how much the bolt face has to be opened. Probably the better choice is a slightly larger action like a Stiller TAC338 or a Defiance Machine with a .750 diameter bolt instead of the .700 diameter bolt of the Remington. There is actually a group buy for Stiller actions on snipershide.com right now and TAC338's are 810.00 shipped I believe. If you want to build it on a Remington Pacific Tool and Gauge sells drop in bolts and the factory bolt can be sold to recover about 1/2 the cost of the Lapua bolt. Then you would need a mag box or a clip and bottom metal.

A cheaper and easier option would be a .338 Edge, especially if you bought a .300 RUM Sendero or LR rifle, as the Edge is based on a .300 RUM.

The upside to the Lapua is really good brass and the upside of the Edge is it's cheaper to build. Both are really close in velocity.

Ill give you a quick run down on the .338's.

.340 Wby-one of the first chambering to make the .338 diameter bullet shine. Its a necked up .300 wby. It will get a 225 grn bullet to 3000fps, and a 250 grain bullet to 2800fps. 26" tube.

.338 RUM- 2750-2800 fps with 300 grain bullets, 3000 fps with 250grn bullets and 3325 with 225 grain bullets. Pretty efficent for what you get. down side is poor brass and i think that remington is going to do away with it, or at least put it on the back burner. 26" tube.

.338 EDGE- a necked up .300 RUM. essentially the same as the .338 RUM, but a wildcat. 26" tube

.338 Lapua- the same as the .338 RUM/EDGE but... it can be pushed a little harder becuase of really great brass, though I wouldnt recomend it. The down side to this is the bigger action that is needed (at least thats what they say). 26" tube.

.338 NORMA- same class as the RUM/EDGE/Lapua but with a 24" barrel. based off the .338 Lapua. Extremly effecient. *EDIT* I was just reading about guys using a 26'' tube and getting that velocity so now I dont know... kinda sucks cuz I was just thinking about ordering a reamer.

There are bigger ones, but the cost starts to jump alot after these ones.

I think we need a little .338 review from LTLR.

Norma comes after the 340 WBY ,in line up.There are 10-12 , 338 offerings. Then past the ones you mentioned,ultramax, Kahn, Allen AP, LAI, MOST PUSH 300 gr., 3000 vel. Then the really big 338-378WBY-137 H20, 338 Allen mag,182 GR.- BL-C,265 GR.RBBT@3500 VEL.He has a Raptor he is working on too, that is in between AX & AM

If I were an elk hunter...a 338 in some form would be what Id reach for first

If I were a Elk hunter I would use a 40mm grenade launcher. That would do the trick. Give me a freaking break! The .300 Roy is one of the best elk rounds ever made. He just needs to get his loads right. This gentleman could save himself some serious coin just by getting his reloads right and you all know it.

If I were a Elk hunter I would use a 40mm grenade launcher. That would do the trick. Give me a freaking break! The .300 Roy is one of the best elk rounds ever made. He just needs to get his loads right. This gentleman could save himself some serious coin just by getting his reloads right and you all know it.
The 340 Roy is even better, because you can shoot the larger 250 high BC bullets with more energy across the board. I grew up as a kid shooting coffee cans hung on the fence, or place was 1/2 mile sg. with Dads 300 wby, thenin early 20s I picked up a 340wby, wacked elk w/it over 20 yrs.:D

Many people on here as well as other sites have posted that the Weatherby Ultra Light rifles aren't that accurate and the OP probably has one of those rifles. Some rifles just will not shoot well no matter how much tinkering you do. That is why I suggested a new barrel first. If he's getting a new barrel he can just about pick any caliber he wants including the 338 Lapua he seem to prefer. The Mark V action has a longer mag box then most and is made in calibers with the .588 bolt face so it would handle the .338 Lapua fine. Weatherby actually makes a .338 Lapua Mark V now too.

I personally like bigger calibers and have killed most of the 30 or so elk I've shot with calibers over .35 in center fire rifles and .50 caliber in muzzleloaders. I've shot a few with 7mm's and .30 caliber rifles and they are less than impressive compared to the bigger calibers like .375's and .416's. The small calibers kill them ok they just don't take them off their feet like the big calibers but I also have never intentionally taken a shoulder shot on a elk. Now that there are better high BC bullets for the bigger calibers they are even better.

Many people on here as well as other sites have posted that the Weatherby Ultra Light rifles aren't that accurate and the OP probably has one of those rifles. Some rifles just will not shoot well no matter how much tinkering you do. That is why I suggested a new barrel first. If he's getting a new barrel he can just about pick any caliber he wants including the 338 Lapua he seem to prefer. The Mark V action has a longer mag box then most and is made in calibers with the .588 bolt face so it would handle the .338 Lapua fine. Weatherby actually makes a .338 Lapua Mark V now too.

I personally like bigger calibers and have killed most of the 30 or so elk I've shot with calibers over .35 in center fire rifles and .50 caliber in muzzleloaders. I've shot a few with 7mm's and .30 caliber rifles and they are less than impressive compared to the bigger calibers like .375's and .416's. The small calibers kill them ok they just don't take them off their feet like the big calibers but I also have never intentionally taken a shoulder shot on a elk. Now that there are better high BC bullets for the bigger calibers they are even better.

+1 This is a great post and I agree,

Jeff

thanks guys lot of great stuff coming out. did some shooting today the r22 showed some signs of promise. going to try some more loads of it and some retumbo. Any idea's on how close my speed should stay with in each other or what i should strive for? also the gun shoots factory loads good so i know handloads have to be better all and i'm going to stay 210 berger with the speed i'm shooting I cant see shooting even slower with 230's. shooting for 2900fps but we'll see. any one want to throw there load and speed in feel free.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.