Rifle Builds Knowledge and knowing what to Buy

Savage 25-06

Here is a letter I wrote to Len. His suggestion to post my thought here:

Hi Len and everyone at LRH, I'm a newbie not only to the site, but to long range hunting and Building a LR Rifle.

Would it be possible, or have you already covered the understanding of Actions, what to understand about an action and know if you build a certain caliber say a 25-06, I would need to look at a certain bolt face etc... What Actions would work in what builds.

Or is there a book that you know of.
I'd find it very interesting to have an article / Video done on this, I myself think that it would be very informative as well as helpful for those selling and buying that neither is wasting time asking or explaining,

Thanks for your time.
Sincerely Patrick a.k.a. Savage 25-06 gun)

What are you looking to build? I have done a couple of savage rifles and may be able to help. I don't know of a book or certain site that deals with this.

Good Morning ChipEaton thanks for the post. I'm building a 25-06, off from what action depends what I find, right now its the learning curves to know what works.

My Barrel which I will order will be 28" a 1-9 Twist
The Stock I will build .

So I've been talking reading researching on Actions, I have not come up with what a long action does compared to a short action, what I'm sure is basic knowledge, but just getting into this, its areas I've not yet learn.

I put out another post just on Rifle Stock building after watching a few segments here and there.

Theres a lot to stock building, so the Original post was trying to find where a person can learn all of this from.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Talk to Jim Briggs with Northland Shooters Supply. He knows more about savage rifles than savage does. He helped me with my first build.

ChipEaton Thanks < I'll contact Jim, I just found a Savage 110 rifle in a 270 really nice shape for a great price, funny to me that actions go for more than guns do, I had someone before tell me to buy guns, and use the Actions, I thought this strange but after looking for actions, I see that maybe this is the way to go.

Thanks for your help, I'll let ya know what Jim has to say.

Savage 25-06 gun)

What I have learn today: I think I have found thé Model, Action for my build.

Savage 110, what a great design for folks that want some versatility in what they can do with rifle, and builds.

Having found my new wonderful knowledge, I now need to find a Left Hand Savage 110 Action to do my build from.

Savage 25-06 gun)

blacknzr1 Thanks for the help, I just found a Savage 110 270 LH bolt that I can do this build off from, now trieing to part with other things so I can buy the new one.

I'll check out the source, thanks.

Savage 25-06 gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.