Rifle build

pockets380

I am really wanting to do a long range build and can't decide what to do. I'm really considering building off of an existing rifle or wondering if I should just start over. I have a Remington 700 chambered in 300 weatherby. I think pretty much the only thing I would keep is the action. I am considering a brux chrome moly barrel as the action is blued and I think stainless would look weird. Also I'm not sure on barrel length. I'm getting a half inch group at 100yds now with a Berger 210 handload. I havent ran it through a chrono but according to some other data I've compared I think it's around 2905 fps. I would like it a bit faster. I'm wanting to put a huskemaw on top and with those numbers I can't quite make a 1000yds on the turret. Any thoughs or recomendations would be appreciated! I forgot to mention I'm going to use it mainly for deer and elk hunting.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a chromoly but you could use a ceracoted stainless, I would use a combo similar to mine, difference being mine is on a savage action, but I would use a 28" sendero or nbrsa heavy varmint contour 10 twist with a .060-.080" throat match 300wby chamber, note this is not for factory ammo, but loaded close to or in the lands H4831, Hybrid100v, 7828, H1000, or Retumbo will get you 3100+fps with 208 amaxxs or 210 bergers, retumbo and hybrid. Can get you just under 3200fps and actually over but when you push them over 3200 its stiff bolt lift and hard on cases.

To save you some reading :D:D Ill sum up the posts that will follow.

About 45% of people will Recommend Blueprinting your action and chambering it in 6.8 or 338.

About 45% of people will Recommend throwing your gun in the trash and buying a Savage in the above mentioned calibers.

About 9% of people will tell you to get a custom build and take your 700 to the pawn shop.

and that last 1% (me) will tell you that weatherbys are horrible, and shame on you for getting one :D:D

Hope i helped.

P.S. On a serious note there are many accomplished Gun Makers here that can help you. Kirby, Shaun, and a few others that i dont know their names. Plus all of us who dont know squat and just think we are experts gun):cool:

Backwoods 83, I'm using RL-25 right now with a mid range load. I loaded some hotter but the accuracy just wast there with the hotter loads. I have the bullet seated as close to the lands as i can get, with still being able to load the shells in my magazine. I never thought about the ceracoated stainless, thanks! Do you know about how many fps I would gain going from a 24in to 28in barrel?

kc0pph, I have thought about starting over with the savage. I already have this one though. I actually got the rifle from my father in law so that's a good bonus. This is the first weatherby i have owned and haven't had any problems with it.

I dont really see whats wrong with what you have now, to be honest. You have a 1/2 MOA gun that can push big heavy bullets. Instead of spending money on re-building a gun that already shoots spend the money on optics. Such as a nightforce of vortex that will allow the adjustment range you need. I think a lot of people actually prefer figuring drops vs using a turrent anyway (well at least I do). If you are set on building a new gun for elk hunting since you already have a donor action I would use that and rebarrel to a 300 RUM if you plan on keeping it around 1000, if you want more than 1000 yards on elk this is where the big 338's come in, ie the 338 RUM/EDGE, which can both be built off the rem 700 action. If starting new just get a custom action is what I hear, by the time you get the action and have it blueprinted you would be almost even.
Also I think seekins offers bottom metal that you could get that might give you the ability to seat the bullets longer.

Last edited:
RE25 is to temp sensative, but with slower powders the 300wby will likely gain 30-40fps for every extra inch of barrel. A buddies bench gun load is a 210 berger .015" in the lands, norma brass, 75grns Imr4350, fed210m primer 28" 11 twist tube, 2976fps es of 2, I saw it plant a 5 shot 2.7" group at 1k.

Assuming you have what you need for your 300 wea, brass, dies, ect. chamber it to a 308 Baer. Deadly @ 1000 yds. You can't go wrong.

Yes you could do as mentioned, the 308 Les Baer custom aka 300 ackley magnum long, it will shorten your 300wby case necks by about .150" and blow the body out with a 40* shoulder and it will outrun a 300RUM at the exspense of barrel life it has between 8 and 9 grains more usable powder space than the 300 weatherby.

Is RE-25 similar to RL-25? I'm using 76 grains of RL-25 with Norma brass and cci primers. I think I really need to chrono it to see for sure the speed. Thanks for all input.

Yes some say RL I say RE either way its alliant reloader 25, and I only have one use for it and that is extreme speed in a 257wby, imo its not a good powder for a 300wby, H4831sc and 7828 are better choices as are hybrid and retumbo, and if your using cci 250s that's not necessary with 76grns of re25 your better off using cci br2s or fed210m's. I'm not positive but I think about 73grns of hybrid will out run what your shooting and be just as accurate. Always start with book loads in a weatherby but note they are always very conservative, and it takes a lot of re25 in a 300wby, your load is very mild.

Yes you could do as mentioned, the 308 Les Baer custom aka 300 ackley magnum long, it will shorten your 300wby case necks by about .150" and blow the body out with a 40* shoulder and it will outrun a 300RUM at the exspense of barrel life it has between 8 and 9 grains more usable powder space than the 300 weatherby.

Not Les Baer, But Bruce Baer version. A bit different.

Sorry my bad. My brother in-laws 308 baer built by Bruce has a 35* shoulder with about .07 tpi in the body. But he uses 340 Wea. brass from Bruces recommendation. It gives you a longer neck after fire forming.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.