Rifle build

midmo

hey guys,
I have been in here for a while now and I have always wanted to build a rifle. (I won't be able to do the machine work). I have posted in the past about builds. I have finally rat holes some money away where I can get an action. I not be getting all the parts just yet. I am wanting to build. Left handed action and I really want stainless. I am still trying to decide what caliber but here is the my main question. I have been looking at either a Remington 700 or a Savage 10 or 110. What would be better? I know I could do the barrel work at home with the savage but which is he better product?any caliber suggestions? I hunt whitetail but as my kids get older I would like to hunt pronghorn, mule deer and elk. This gun does not have to be "the one to do it all."

For the price of a Remington action + trueing it you can get a custom for close to the same price. Also you can get a Remage for the Remington and do the work yourself just like the Savage.

You might look at the Tikka thread. Pretty strong consensus that a Tikka is a better and less expensive platform to build off of then a Remington as long as you don't want something like a 300 wm. Not sure how the Savages stack up. I bought one for my son in 22-250 and to me I like the Remington or Tikka better.

I just saw that Alamo Precision came out with a new action. $750 if you buy one before the 15th. Can't get close to that price with a 700 with the features that the APR G2 action has. Not sure if they have it in left hand though

Check out Northland Shooter Supply for actions they have trued Remington's for very resnable prices and they have remage barrels that work just like a savage barrel would.

Check out Northland Shooter Supply for actions they have trued Remington's for very resnable prices and they have remage barrels that work just like a savage barrel would.

From what Rhian said those aren't fully trued actions.

With the problems PTG is having I would look else where. Go to Accurateshooter and read the thread Paul (boltfluter)started about there bolts hes running into. Calling it trued and it being true are 2 different things.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.