Rifle build

WVGuns

Thinking of building some what of a custom rifle this winter maybe get more into the groundhog and long range shoots. Trying to save every penny i can cause i'm definatly on a budget. what is your guys suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a barreled action and fit my own stock. Just curious what everyone thinks. 2500$ is probably my limit can it be done??

I think it can be done I did a 6x45 out of a how's action for under a grand. I have not shot it long range yet but at 100 yards its 1/2 moa no problem.

1. What caliber?

2. Do you plan on "just shooting" in the comps or want to be competitive?

3. IF you want to be competitive you are on tight budget if you need a decent scope as you are in custom class for groundhogs unless you go to the Savages and shoot factory.

Go to "Shooters Corner" website and store run by Bob White in NJ and buy a great used rifle that will be competitive for under $2000 plus he has great deals on used reloading equip and scopes.

Calibers to consider are 6BR, 6 Dasher (factory brass is on the way), 300 WSM

I have a scope so no need to dip in to my build money for that. Paper groundhog shoots from 400-1000 yards then maybe hit a long range challenge event at peacemaker if they still have them. Looking at a possible 6.5x284 or maybe even a 6br...I talked breifly to Dixie precision rifles and they can put me together one not sure of price yet. Anyone have any experience with them?

$2500 would be plenty if you stay with a more economical stock such as a bell and carlson or hs precision. You could put all your money into the barrel and gunsmithing. Be aware some of the coatings can get very expensive. I've had 3 custom rifles built on factory actions that were all under this amount with the gunsmith doing all the work including bedding and truing. These were with bartlein and brux barrels.

I have a scope so no need to dip in to my build money for that. Paper groundhog shoots from 400-1000 yards then maybe hit a long range challenge event at peacemaker if they still have them. Looking at a possible 6.5x284 or maybe even a 6br...I talked breifly to Dixie precision rifles and they can put me together one not sure of price yet. Anyone have any experience with them?

Go to John Myer at Custom Gunsmithing in Boyce VA (10 miles East of Winchester)

He is long time LR shooter and master gunsmith with LR rifles. Very good guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.