Rifle Build

I can tell you from experience you won't regret a Douglas. The first group at 1060yrds with a 338 Lapua in a Douglas produced a 3 shot group that measured right around 5". That is a 1/2 MOA grouping. It doesn't get much better than that. He stays consistently at 3/4MOA or less when shooting depending on conditions. Just because it is cheaper doesn't mean its crap. The guy that built his rifle has used Douglas barrels on many Bench Rest rifles that have won in Williamsport shooting the 1000yrd competition. Yeah there are other barrel makers, but I am not afraid to use a Douglas. I need to watch my wallet. If it is a Douglas that is what it would be. My only other option that I may consider it if I can afford it is a Lilja 3groove in a 1:11 twist for my WSM.

Tank

That answered my question. Douglas is defiantly in my price range and my smith really likes them. I guess it is all personal preference. Now the hard part, hurry up and wait for it so i can get out and shoot it. Thanks for all your opinions.

He is going to the shot show in Vegas but when he gets back he is thinking around a month or 6 weeks.

4-6 weeks isn't too bad...good luck with the build and don't forget the pics.

I think you'll be satisfied with a Douglas -though my only personal experience with one was a "Premium XX Air-Gauged" barrel.

It shot 190 SMK's out of my .300 Win like a champ - avg at 100 yds was .225" and egg shooting at 300 yds was no problem. I will say it was a fouling barrel though - really a chore to keep it clean.

Next time around i'm going with a Lilja, but the Douglas did a fine job for me.

Nice to see some one using the old 340, it was ahead of its time back then. Had mine for 20+ yrs. came out before I was around, still love that old dawg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.