Rifle Build

Ohio06

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a custom riflethat is set up with a Bighorn long action nested in a McMillan Hunterstock. Here's the issue I'm having, overthe years I've grown to become very proficient with a .308, most recently witha Sig 3000 that I shoot steel matches and the occasional ground hog with. That being said, I'd like to run a shortaction caliber in this rig which is where I'm running into problemsdeciding. The main reason for this is I'dlike to run heavy for caliber bullets in either a .308 or 7-08 for up to 500yard deer hunting and possibly up to 400 on elk. I've ran the numbers and all seems to jivewith what I'm wanting to do, I'm just stuck on which one I should go with? I feel like the 7mm is going to give me thehigher BC bullets allowing me to buck the wind much better, which ultimately isthe hardest part for me and many people.

Aside from this, I feel the long action is good not only forseating the long bullets while not sacrificing case capacity, but it allows forme in the future to move into a long action caliber if I would ever choose todo so.

I'll also add that the builder is only charging me for partson this rig, as it was built for a customer who ended up not being able tofulfill his end of the agreement, thus sticking the builder with the rifle. I wouldn't be able to touch this rig for whathe is asking for it, essentially what was wrapped up in parts.

The specs on it are as follows.

Bighorn LA w/ bolt knob conversion

Bartlein Barrel ( of my choosing, builder will rechamber andkeep original chambering)

Vais brake

Cerakote

McMillan Hunter Stock

Glass/Pillar bedded

20 MOA titanium base bedded

Jewell Trigger

Custom Stock Paint

Just looking for some input on the two calibers I'mconsidering.

Thanks in advance

I say go for the 7-08 1&9 twist and never look back. 168g or 180g should do the trick. I have a 280 ackley and a 308. I like both but lean more toward the 7mm bullets

I'd also choose the 7mm-08 with the 1/9 twist (though I'd only go as heavy as the 160gr's in it). In fact, it's what I'm planning on for my son with just those range limitations in mind.

Sounds likes a nice platform. You have a good thought process using the long action allowing for flexibility should the desire to rebarrel in something bigger ever arise.

You asked for our opinions?

I would go with one of the 7mms. Are you able to decide on the bolt face? Magnum or non magnum or is it already the smaller bolt face?

Just have to say that you won't impinge enough on powder space to make a difference in performance when using a longer cartridge with a long bullet. You said: "in the future to move into a long action caliber". The future is NOW why not make it a long action cartridge from the beginning? I will bet it will feed better than a short cartridge.

If you insist on a SA case, depending on bolt face why not consider slightly larger short action cartridges? The 284 win, the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM come to mind. They would give you more velocity with the heavier high BC bullets like the 180 Berger.

IMO I can't see using a muzzle brake for a small cartridge. If it comes with one just put it aside till you switch to a long action cartridge with some serious recoil.

Thanks for all the replies, as my gut feeling was telling me 7mm I think you've all concvinced me.

AZ,

I just have a certain affinity for short action calibers, I don't really know why, personal preference I guess. For the ranges I am planning on shooting I feel as though they are perfect, while still allowing me to use them on steel at longer ranges.

I've been reading more and more on the .284 Win, which is starting to capture my interest. Ballsitic data looks like a nice compromise between a mag and a 7-08. Just haven't nailed it down yet though.

Thanks for all the replies

You asked for our opinions?

I would go with one of the 7mms. Are you able to decide on the bolt face? Magnum or non magnum or is it already the smaller bolt face?

Just have to say that you won't impinge enough on powder space to make a difference in performance when using a longer cartridge with a long bullet. You said: "in the future to move into a long action caliber". The future is NOW why not make it a long action cartridge from the beginning? I will bet it will feed better than a short cartridge.

If you insist on a SA case, depending on bolt face why not consider slightly larger short action cartridges? The 284 win, the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM come to mind. They would give you more velocity with the heavier high BC bullets like the 180 Berger.

IMO I can't see using a muzzle brake for a small cartridge. If it comes with one just put it aside till you switch to a long action cartridge with some serious recoil.

Ok, well after many sleepless nights, stressful days at work, and many Excel sheets of ballistic data.... I've landed on my choice of caliber.

.280 Ackley it will be. I kept running numbers, over and over and I just kept seeing that I would be pushing a .308 or 7-08 to it's limits all the time in order to achieve the distances I want to achieve and still maintain the energy and velocity I wanted to see. I already have a .280 AI, but I'll be selling it as I've always had the desire for a custom rig, and besides I don't want two of them.

If I weren't already setup to load it, and didn't have brass I probably would have opted for something else.

I'm going to go with a 26" Bartlein with 1:8.5 twist and a Vais muzzle brake to tame it down.

I was really set on a 7-08 and kept thinking "well someday I can upgrade to a larger caliber if I want." I just couldn't end up rationalizing that in my head, when in reality to buy a barrel, have it chambered, threaded for action/brake, and have it installed I'd be close to $1k.

I'll be picking up the rifle in November as soon as I get back home from hunting out west. Can't wait to get working on load development.

Thanks again for everyones inputs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.