Rifle build

What speed are you planning to get out of a 20" 300WSM?
How fast can a 308 shoot that bullet in a 20" barrel with a faster burning powder?
I'd guess the 300WSM is going to lose close to 200fps by going from 26" to 20". You'll get a lot of recoil (Newton's 3rd Law) and be sacrificing a lot of performance.
Speed ??,. about like,.. a .30-30 ! ( OK, in Reality, a .308 ! )
It's called, going,.. Backwards !
.300 WSM, Recoil ?? MAYBE, it's, TOO MUCH,.. Gun ??
"Cutting",.. = Waste of GOOD, Barrel Steel, IMO,.. LOL !
Don't mind me as, just an,.. ole' Guy, Rant !
Getting, a Kick out of, the New "Trendy",.. hunters, today,.. Just, Cracks me, up !
Sorry,..

Last edited:
I think just north of 2800FPS is where I plan to be.

I'm not too concerned with the recoil being an issue. It seems that the suppressor knocks quite a bit of it down in my experience.
You're going to get 300WSM recoil and 308Win performance is what I was saying. I did not mean to insinuate you were recoil sensitive.

I guess my point is; when you cut a magnum barrel down, you lose a LOT of performance per inch and sometimes it makes sense to choose a different caliber because of that.

I own quite a few suppressors. Speed kills, but I am not a speed freak. I look at the width of my balled up fist and wonder if that 4" of barrel length is worth 120fps of performance, and for me the answer is always no.

I have short barrel standard bolt calibers like 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. When I am getting into mag bolt face territory, that fist width of barrel is a non issue for me.

Just sharing my thoughts for conversational purposes.

YES,.. Speed,.. KILLS !!
Roy Weatherby, KNEW "this",.. in the 1940's and,..
"it", STILL,.. "works",.. Today

Last edited:
You're going to get 300WSM recoil and 308Win performance is what I was saying. I did not mean to insinuate you were recoil sensitive.

I guess my point is; when you cut a magnum barrel down, you lose a LOT of performance per inch and sometimes it makes sense to choose a different caliber because of that.

I own quite a few suppressors. Speed kills, but I am not a speed freak. I look at the width of my balled up fist and wonder if that 4" of barrel length is worth 120fps of performance, and for me the answer is always no.

I have short barrel standard bolt calibers like 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. When I am getting into mag bolt face territory, that fist width of barrel is a non issue for me.

Just sharing my thoughts for conversational purposes.
He'll still be faster than 308 just due to the pressure. I'm betting he'll be in 22" 30-06 territory. My money says maybe 2720-2775 with a 200.

I have a pretty good understanding on what I am getting into velocity-wise. That said, I will take the loss of a couple hundred FPS to not have a 30"+ barrel/suppressor to get hung up on on every branch that goes over my head.

From the reading I've done from others builds, people are still seeing 2800+ from similar loads to what I'd like to be doing. So we shall see.

And I assure no hard feelings are being taken or given from me. I posted the thread looking for info and I will take it all into consideration. I'm certainly no expert.

Last edited:
No hard feelings !
I was just funning with you on, the "New Concept" of,.. cutting barrels / Suppressing ( and then, wondering IF, fast enough ? )
I DO understand, the "concept",.. just not sure, IF, really,.. "Worth it".
Personally,.. I'd buy, a 24" barreled, 30-06 shoot, 168 -180 gr. Bergers and Save, the $$$'s on, the Suppressor.
The Popular .300 WSM,.. needs, some "Taming" when, working up Loads / Truing BC's to Scope, etc.,.. ON the Bench !
The Average, New Hunter, does NOT understand that, IT ain't, a "Pleasant" Cartridge to shoot, in a LIGHT weight, carry, Mtn., Rifle.
Good Luck with, your New Rifle !

Last edited:
I will be getting the barrel cut for shooting the bullets I want.

I thought I read somewhere that building the WSM type rounds on a long action incurs feeding issues. Any knowledge of that? Because ideally I would really like to have the length to seat the heavy bullets where it will optimize performance.
The feeding issues are more to do with short fat cases, not related to the action length. These and similar cases need center-feed. If you choose a follower or mag designed for SAUM/WSM cases, you'll be good to go.

Dare to be different. That is the fun part of a custom or semi custom rifle. It sounds like you know what you want. I've struggled with the shorter barrel dilemma when shooting suppressed. I'm sure Tikka makes a fine rifle, but everybody and their dog already seems to have one. The last time I was at the range I was surrounded by people shooting Tikka CM's. If you are going custom, don't blend in. Stand out.

Tmarsh38,

And I ensure no hard feelings are being taken or given from me. I posted the thread looking for info and I will take it all into consideration. I'm certainly no expert.

Good attitude, thanks!

I have a pretty good understanding on what I am getting into velocity-wise. That said, I will take the loss of a couple hundred FPS to not have a 30"+ barrel/suppressor to get hung up on on every branch that goes over my head.

From the reading I've done from others builds, people are still seeing 2800+ from similar loads to what I'd like to be doing. So we shall see.

This thread is all about compromise, not absolutes!

Suppressors are coming into more use on an almost daily basis. Threading an 8" suppressor onto a 26+ inch barrel can make your rifle more difficult to manage when hunting no matter the terrain. You're not a paid sniper, you're hunting. Prone and targets is a moot point. Running a short 20" barrel is not sacrilege, it's a compromise meant to make your journey easier.

Discussions on achievable velocity will run from the believable/provable to fantasy/ridiculous. Some see faster is better even if you exaggerate!

I've been running some tests using 20" barrels with larger capacity cases in the .30 and .338 realm. I've chambered one 20" with the .300 Norma Mag. using the 205 Badlands seated out, magazine fed and getting very reasonable velocities. Am I getting as much as with a full length barrel? Heavens no. But the energy requirements and the velocity range is still useful for most hunting situations. The rifle is very easy to carry.

Enjoy!