Retumbo in .338 UM

rimrockhunter

Is anyone having success with Retumbo in their .338 UM ? Specifically with 250 or 300 gr projectiles. My rig is Mod 700, 28.5" Schneider w Polyagonal rifleing.
Thanks

I suspected a typo. If it is a 338 (LM) not UM, I have my best accuracy with H1000 at around 92 grains with Federal Primers in F/L resized Lapua or PPU cases (I F'L resize even new, unloaded cases always. 3 loads and anneal but thats my regimen and may not be yours.

I stay away from the 300 grain pills as a rule. The 250's launch better and are more accurate at distance in my rifle. I launch SMK's or SGK's depending.

Your results may or may not be similar. Different tubes like different combinations.

Yep I forgot the "R" in my original post. Its a RUM and I have been using 92 gr of H4831 for 3050 Fps. I had the rifle built 5 years ago and the gunsmith turned me onto this load. It works plenty well on steel, paper, and critters. On hot dsys the load is too hot. Am looking for a change. Maybe I will just back off s grain or two. I have been tossing my brass after the 4th fireing. If I anneal after 3, how many more could I get ? Also what kind of velocity are you guys realizing with the 250 grainers in your 338 RUM.
Thanks for the input.

Yep I forgot the "R" in my original post. Its a RUM and I have been using 92 gr of H4831 for 3050 Fps. I had the rifle built 5 years ago and the gunsmith turned me onto this load. It works plenty well on steel, paper, and critters. On hot dsys the load is too hot. Am looking for a change. Maybe I will just back off s grain or two. I have been tossing my brass after the 4th fireing. If I anneal after 3, how many more could I get ? Also what kind of velocity are you guys realizing with the 250 grainers in your 338 RUM.
Thanks for the input.

I knew you did...lol

How many firings depends entirely on how the brass looks physically. Once the necks start showing fatigue, primers get loose or the cases start to exhibit a bulge at the case head, it's time to toss 'em. I keep all my old brass in a box and when I get a bunch, it's off to the scrap yard with the aluminum and stainless and steel for some beer money....

My preferred brass in any centerfire caliber is Lapua, with Norma and then Federal. Those 3 cover everything I ignite.

As an side, I try to stay out of the 3000 FPS club. I'm into barrel life.

I shoot a 338rum with a 27 1/2 inch Broughton 5c, 90grs of H 1000 yields me 2830 with a 300 gr Berger, 97 grs and a 225 gr accubond yields 3300. RL 25 also does very well with 97 grs yielding 3300 with the 225 accubonds. I don't shoot 250's since they won't do what the 225's or 300's will do.
I shoot retumbo in my 300 rum with 93 grs and a 215 Berger.

That's what I use....this is 700 yds

Attachments

• WP_20130211.jpg
    WP_20130211.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.