H1000 vs Retumbo in 338 LM Results

I have a 338 edge 30" rock creek 9.3 twist on a rem 700. I originally shot h1000 because it was "the powder" in other guns of this nature. I ended up not getting the accuracy or velocity I wanted or thought the gun should do better. After going back to the drawing board, retumbo produced a 1/4moa load at 2789fps that has been confirmed out to 1670 yards in drops using only 89 grains of retumbo, cci250 primers, and nosler brass. I have shot incredible groups with this combo and the gen 1 300 grain bergers 30 thousands off, for what its worth. This velocity was recorded at 1300ft elevation. I agree on shooting groups farther out, I discovered this 1/4moa group at 377 yards and have seen under 2" of vertical holding 1/4moa at 980 yards with it.
I have several firings on this brass with no bolt click or stiffness. I may have a faster lot of retumbo, hence such a low grain powder charge for me?
Hope this helps, give retumbo a chance.
Bob
I am going to give RL33 a "shot" first, if I don't get good accuracy, then I will try retumbo.

Here is a good one for ya. My chrono said 93.9 gr retumbo pushed the 300 Berger at 3000 fps. I shot an elk at 700 last weekend and it was low. After reading Riley's post, I see why!!!! Guess I need a new chrono. Heard good things about magneto thing. Might look into that.
Good info Riley. Thanks a bunch!!!
I love my magnetospeed, took me 1 minute to attach it and hook it up at the range yesterday.

Great. Look at those results and the gain in MV per grain. I would load some at 99 and some at 100. Shoot groups at 200+ yards and look at the results.

There is only 10 fps between these and I would let accuracy decide. Remember, shoot 3 and let her cool completely.

Also be aware these loads could be over pressure in summer temps. So I favor the 99 gr load if it shoots good.

2840 with that bullet will serve you very well.

Jeff

Jeff, do you think I would be better off with the Elite Hunters? Or will the OTM be satisfactory? I am going to load 6 at 99, 6 at 99.5, and 6 at 100 grains and shoot two, 3 shot groups at 200-300 yards.

Jeff, do you think I would be better off with the Elite Hunters? Or will the OTM be satisfactory? I am going to load 6 at 99, 6 at 99.5, and 6 at 100 grains and shoot two, 3 shot groups at 200-300 yards.

I have had no problems with the OTM's , but I do believe the EL's would be a better choice for the longest pokes. I will be using the OTM's because I already have a large supply of them and I am running 350 fps more MV. But if I was to set your rifle to hunt for someone I would be using the EL's.

I have read reports from others that said the OTM was not expanding well at very long distances. I my self have not seen this but have only taken game with the OTM's to 1200 yards. They worked well at this distance for me from rifles with a MV of 2800 to 2840.

Your plan is a good one. It will be very interesting to see the results. Keep the barrel cool, the rear bag tight and shoot 200 plus.

Jeff

Ive been playing with the r13 and it is interesting and seems to hold a lot of promise but it does seem to have a different way about it!

bng,

What's your thinking on RL33 at this point? I like it except for the fact that, from my testing, I was concerned that it was too temp sensitive. At the same time, however, with a 10F to 85F powder temp difference, all else being equal, I was getting about 50fps, as I recall, difference in MV's, BUT groups at 205yds (longest can go at local range) prone only had a 1/4 MOA POI change with many of those groups averaging in the low .3's or high .2s. It did seem to be quite consistent in the producing small groups.

Broz and Riley, I still go back and forth on if I should try some H1000 in my 338AX. So many have seem to have had really good performance with it. Be interested to see your Retumbo tests, if you get that far, Riley.

I have done testing with the same rifle and components as the OP, the velocity testing was done with an Oehler 35 Chronograph. My optimum accuracy, ES, and velocity at peressures just below any pressure sign indications are shown below. I also tested seating depths finding not too much variation with the 300 Berger settling on .010" off the lands. Cases were FL sized, neck bushing .365". Group sizes of both loads were .25-.5MOA measured at 200 yards and ES with both loads were under 10FPS.

89.2 gr Retumbo 2704FPS
90.0 gr H1000 2706FPS

This rifle produced best accuracy with velocity in the 2700 FPS range. I could push it with Retumbo 25-50FPS with 90.5gr but ES and accuracy fell off slightly with borderline pressure.

I have done testing with the same rifle and components as the OP, the velocity testing was done with an Oehler 35 Chronograph. My optimum accuracy, ES, and velocity at peressures just below any pressure sign indications are shown below. I also tested seating depths finding not too much variation with the 300 Berger settling on .010" off the lands. Cases were FL sized, neck bushing .365". Group sizes of both loads were .25-.5MOA measured at 200 yards and ES with both loads were under 10FPS.

89.2 gr Retumbo 2704FPS
90.0 gr H1000 2706FPS

This rifle produced best accuracy with velocity in the 2700 FPS range. I could push it with Retumbo 25-50FPS with 90.5gr but ES and accuracy fell off slightly with borderline pressure.

And there's the seeming advantage to H1000 again. I gotta try that one of these days...

And there's the seeming advantage to H1000 again. I gotta try that one of these days...

With my 338L it' a coin toss between Retumbo and H1000, but similiar to the OP, my interest in testing both was to use my H1000 supply with the 338 and conserve my Retumbo that gives the best performance in my 300WM and 6.5x284. . This powder shortage is a killer.

Glad there is some useful info in there.

I ordered 10 more lbs from thrid gen, so i will do any further testing with that lot.

Glad there is some useful info in there.

I ordered 10 more lbs from thrid gen, so i will do any further testing with that lot.

10 pounds of what??

Just loaded retumbo for my 338LM with 300 Bergers.
88-94 in 1gr increments all .015 off to see if I can make it shoot better.
I have some h1000 but not much. 3 lbs of RL33 but tried once and couldn't get it.

Riley, how did the LRX 285s work for you??

Mario

10 lbs of rl-33.
The 280 LRX shot great but because of the long bearing surface, i couldnt get alot of velocity. 2600 fps was max. They did perform very well on the 4 animals we hit with them.

Tested my new lot of rl33 today, it is 7 fps faster avg for the same powder charge. Not too shabby. :D
I shot a 300 grain OTM into some wet newspapers in the process. MV was 2847 fps papers were at 95 yards, 2745 fps at impact with 5020 ft lbs of energy (HOLY S***). The bullet went through 8" of hard wood, then penetrated roughly 10" into the paper. Retained weight was 176.38 grains including the core and back end of jacket. They separated though and the jacket was found about 7" into the papers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.