Ruger pr in 338 lm, imr7828 and retumbo

katakenm

I just got the new Ruger precision rifle in 338 Lapua Magnum. I have IMR 7828 8-pounder and I also got a one pound of Retumbo, anyone have any previous luck with either of these two owders? I have 250 grain SMK HPBT and Berger 300 grain OTM Tactical.

Now the most important question..... I and working for a bore cleaning and a chamber cleaning brush in 338 caliber. Any suggestions on totes and where I can purchase?

Go with Bore Tech supplies for rod/brush/jag/cleaning solution. awesome stuff.

I have the same rifle. Using 87g 7828 with 225 SST. I use 89g Retumbo with 300g SMK and 300g Berger Elite Hunter. Good to 1400. Haven't gone any further. Also 91g Retumbo with 250 Sierra SP was amazing to 1200.

I can suggest a bore cleaning solution I've had unequaled success after 10+ years of using it to clean everything from my 5.56 ARs, to my belted magnums to my muzzleloaders to my 12 gauge fully rifles bolt slug guns.

Wipe-Out brushless foaming bore cleaner from Sharp Shoot R.
As I said been using it for well over 10 likely closer to 15 years and it works as advertised.
Just used it to clean my Tikka T3 in 300wsm after two range sessions and about 40-45 shots. Took one 3hr soaking and a second 1hr soaking and about max 20 patches to get a 95%+ final clean patch.
If you're not in a hurry Wipe-Out IMHO can not be beat for simplicity economics and the least amount of effort needed to clean your bore. I'm talking less than 25 passes down your bore to get it copper and fouling free.
I do use Wipe-Out Excelorator as does cut the time needed to soak the bore in about 1/2. If I limit my shots in my bolt guns to 25-30 one 2-3 he soaking with the Excelorator is usually all that s needed. Also Wipe-Out has very little odor to it and what little there is I find it hardly noticeable and totally benign, and it will not harm your barrel or most modern stock finishes.
Just an option you might wish to consider if you don't need your rifles cleaned in a big hurry and like me like to save money and effort at the same time as I love to shoot for hours on end but cleaning, not so much and Wipe -Out takes less than an hour of actual effort on my part to clean any rifle I've ever used it on.
Basically I level my rifle, swab the bore with excellorator spray in the foam till it flows out the breach end, plug both ends, let sit 1-3hrs, push a 5-10 patches if by patch 8 or 10 it's still dirty repeat and very, very few times have I ever had to do more than two soakings to achieve the level of clean I want in my barrels.
Yes it's slower than other bore cleaners but I don't think there is one that's cheaper to use or requires less effort.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.