Retiring the 28 Nosler. (A tribute) Picture Heavy

I've enjoyed seeing your hunts and bullet choices and am sorry to see the 28 go.....did the groups open up , barrel shot out ? Did you like the heavier bullets or the lighter faster philosophy ?
Are you keeping the Mark 5 or optic are you going with on the NMI ? I've been waiting on HCA since October of last year on a "12-14 weeks" estimate for two builds LOL
Can't wait to see it !
Also, yes I'm staying with the Mark 5 for the 300 NMI. But I'll be putting the 5-25 on it. The Mark 5 outshines anything I tried in that $2k dollar range. And sorry about your long wait times with HCA, I planned for a year after I gave him a deposit. But it would be nice if he was more forthcoming with how long these builds are actually taking. I talk to him fairly regularly and he is great guy and a legit builder. That's his only downfall, is long, unexpected wait times from the customer's standpoint.

Have you tried any of the Maven scopes? Been moving over to them recently.

Man I was very tempted to get a 300 Norma Imp build...but realistically I will keep using my 338 RUM for my big game hunting. Love that gun.

What hammers do you plan on using for the new build? It would be sick to get a 1-7" twist for that setup.

Have you tried any of the Maven scopes? Been moving over to them recently.

Man I was very tempted to get a 300 Norma Imp build...but realistically I will keep using my 338 RUM for my big game hunting. Love that gun.

What hammers do you plan on using for the new build? It would be sick to get a 1-7" twist for that setup.
I haven't tried the maven scopes man. I like capped windage, and a non illuminated model. Probably the only thing keeping me from testing them out honestly.

I got it with a 1-9 twist and will test out the 199 & 181 hammers!

I haven't tried the maven scopes man. I like capped windage, and a non illuminated model. Probably the only thing keeping me from testing them out honestly.

I got it with a 1-9 twist and will test out the 199 & 181 hammers!

That rifle is going to be a killer for sure! I shoot the 181's over 3100 fps in my win mag, looking forward to seeing what kind of velocities you are going to get out of your setup.

That rifle is going to be a killer for sure! I shoot the 181's over 3100 fps in my win mag, looking forward to seeing what kind of velocities you are going to get out of your setup.
Oh sweet!! Have you killed anything with them yet? And what did you verify the G7 BC to actually be?

I'm assuming I could push them 3400+ out of a 26" barrel

I bet you will be more like 3500ish range with the 181 hh in your new rifle. I'm getting 3400fps in my 300rum with them using retumbo or h1000 and they are very accurate!
Oh sweet!! I have H1000, N560, N565 & N570.

What was the final round count on the 28 ?
I was around 850. But didn't keep an exact round count like I wish I would have.

Had a 300 Norma Improved built. Should be done in a month or so. So I'm putting a new barrel on this 28 and selling it to a good buddy so he can continue to put it to good use! It served me very well over the last 2 seasons. These animals were taken with 180 VLD H's @3130fps, 195 EOL's @3030fps & 169 hammer hunters @3300fps. Also killed a few coyotes with it. It's been such a great rifle, I just know I wont pull it out of the safe once I have the 300 NMI slinging 199 HH's at 3300 fps.

It was a Hells Canyon Armory "Carbon Killer" build
26" 1-8 HCA carbon barrel
Lone Peak Fuzion TI Action
Timney Trigger
MBM 3 Port Brake
Ag Composites Ibex stock

The 300 NMI will be an Identical build by the same smith. Everything the same except a 5 port MBM brake.
View attachment 322711
View attachment 322712
View attachment 322713
View attachment 322714
View attachment 322717
View attachment 322718
View attachment 322719
View attachment 322720
View attachment 322722
Let us know how you like your 300. Had a couple buddies go to the 300 Prc, verdict is still out. Sticking with my 28 still.

Oh sweet!! Have you killed anything with them yet? And what did you verify the G7 BC to actually be?

I'm assuming I could push them 3400+ out of a 26" barrel

I took them out to 700 and they were on point for the G7 BC. Took two elk, bull at 100 yards and a cow elk at 660 last year with them.

I would recommend using a faster powder than you expect...I bet N565 would be a good choice.

I took them out to 700 and they were on point for the G7 BC. Took two elk, bull at 100 yards and a cow elk at 660 last year with them.

I would recommend using a faster powder than you expect...I bet N565 would be a good choice.
Thanks for the info dude!! I appreciate it!

I recently some my 28 Nosler to get a 300 NMI built by HCA. I may swap out the stock eventually but otherwise I'm super happy with it.
Great to hear dude! I didn't know anyone that had a 300 NMI from Mike yet. Really looking forward to it! What stock is on yours? I love that IBEX stock.

Thanks for the info dude!! I appreciate it!

Great to hear dude! I didn't know anyone that had a 300 NMI from Mike yet. Really looking forward to it! What stock is on yours? I love that IBEX stock.
Mine came to me lightly used and has a JCS tactical stock on it but may go back for an ibex or something more hunting oriented. So far I'm still forming brass but the form loads are shooting around 3/8" so I am sure the full bore loads will as well.
99AF4DFE-8CF1-4EAB-9B31-7B98887CE827.jpeg
3861A007-D77D-4A43-99E4-8825B3735414.jpeg

Last edited: