Reticle preference

adkguy

Window shopping and daydreaming in Schmidt and Bender site, they have scopes that offer the reticle in either the first or second focal plane. Neophyte when it comes to high dollar optics. Advantages?

I don't like my crosshairs changing size when you zoom in. I also dial up for everything so a simple fine crosshair in the second focal plane works for me. I do have scopes with MOA marks but since I dial up they don't get used.

I've got an S&B 3-20 w/ H2CMR reticle and I absolutely love it. Best scope I've ever owned. On lower power (3-8) it just looks like a crosshair. On higher mag, the .2 mil wind holds are visible and work like a charm. They're expensive, but they're also excellent scopes!

I don't like my crosshairs changing size when you zoom in. I also dial up for everything so a simple fine crosshair in the second focal plane works for me. I do have scopes with MOA marks but since I dial up they don't get used.

But the main advantage....if one desires it.....is the ability to range objects at unknown distances at any magnification and also have accurate holdovers and elevation at any mag. That's a couple of the major selling points of FFP.....also, sub tensions in the reticle are always matched to the turret adjustments. it's sometimes nice to have this range finding capability available.....even if one uses a laser rangefinder....since they can fail from time to time. A fine cross hair reticle does not give any reference to measure...perhaps a reticle with a 1/8th moa dot could be used...but would not be very easy.

Different scope features for different folks.....one needs to decide what best serves their needs.

I have five FFP scopes and probably five or six SFP scopes. My hunting rigs have the FFP scopes on them. Two are Premier Heritage 5-25x.....these are by far my favorite scopes....very similar to S&B.

Top tier scopes tend to cost more due to components used and machining tolerances. They tend to be better at repeatability and tend to be more robust. Some may argue that above $2500...the average shooter has diminishing returns on investment. This may be very true....I've purchased my top tier scopes used.....so I've not had to pay full retail.

I would submit that you check out the new Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27X if you are seriously considering FFP. This new scope is hitting the street at @ $2499 and represents an extremely strong price for top tier scopes.

I own a Zeiss Conquest with FFP and it makes a sweet hunting rig. The magnifying reticle of an FFP has its merits it is different though.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

+1 Engineering101
I laser range and dial elevation, hold-off for wind (inches).
My preference is SFP and a med-fine crosshair, zero clutter, no dots, no brackets or hash marks.

Second focal plane for me. I don't like the cross hair getting larger with the magnification changing. As for ranging, that should have gone out with the dark ages. We have laser range finders which are much more accurate than crosshairs.

Second focal plane for me. I don't like the cross hair getting larger with the magnification changing. As for ranging, that should have gone out with the dark ages. We have laser range finders which are much more accurate than crosshairs.

I agree that laser range finders are the way to go. But having a back up, like a ranging reticle is nice to have. Example would be a sheep hunt....one of a life time. If that laser range finder should happen to fail...for what ever reason...what does a guy do? Other than hope someone else has a RF that works. Also....how do you know what amount of windage you're holding with a fine crosshair say at 800, 1,000 or 1,200 yards? I've done Kentucky windage for long range varmint hunting.....but if the shot needed to really count, like for the hunt of a lifetime, you'd want to be more certain than a guess.

As I had stated in my earlier post.....FFP and ranging reticles have their place and always will. Laser etched reticles are more stable than battery powered devices. Guys need to prioritize scope features they need and go from there.

Guess maybe I'm being "Captain Obvious" about FFP and such....Don't mean any disrespect for SFP or fine cross hair ( Have them on my BR rifles)....just that the FFP and reticles do have their place.

I agree that laser range finders are the way to go. But having a back up, like a ranging reticle is nice to have. Example would be a sheep hunt....one of a life time. If that laser range finder should happen to fail...for what ever reason...what does a guy do? Other than hope someone else has a RF that works. Also....how do you know what amount of windage you're holding with a fine crosshair say at 800, 1,000 or 1,200 yards? I've done Kentucky windage for long range varmint hunting.....but if the shot needed to really count, like for the hunt of a lifetime, you'd want to be more certain than a guess.

As I had stated in my earlier post.....FFP and ranging reticles have their place and always will. Laser etched reticles are more stable than battery powered devices. Guys need to prioritize scope features they need and go from there.

Guess maybe I'm being "Captain Obvious" about FFP and such....Don't mean any disrespect for SFP or fine cross hair ( Have them on my BR rifles)....just that the FFP and reticles do have their place.
All information much appreciated, thank you.

No need to use hand grenades for hunting just because 'a gun might misfire'..
Hunting shots are not an emergency(unless dangerous game).
You won't starve if you can't shoot a sheep at 1200yds right now.

You can pull out, get your stuff together, and return to hunt again. Maybe next time show up with better equipment, better taken care of.

Yes....A guy could put in for another tag and spend the $10K + on an outfitter a second time etc. Because you may only have one opportunity to make the shot. I don't think a ranging reticle and FFP is hunting with a hand grenade.....just a very useful back up.

But that's why I said there's different options and a guy needs to prioritize a list before buying a scope. For me, I like having a backup or redundancy. If, when, I could ever afford a sheep hunt...I'm going to make sure I do my part with my equipment and shooting skills. Part of that is bringing my FFP scope along with my Swaro rangefinder. Try to stack the odds a little in my favor.

To each their own....we're lucky to be living in a time where there are so many excellent scopes with various features to chose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.