Reticle hash marks and distance question

earl1704

Looking through a scope (mine anyway) I have 3 lines right to left below the center cross hairs.

Given a specific load how can I find what yardage each line is set for?

On many long range scopes one can turn the turrets for yardage however for me I would rather know what each hash marks true distance is from a set power setting and specific load.

Anyone know an easy way other than moving the target back and forth until it hits center at a given range?

Thanks...............Earl

Looking through a scope (mine anyway) I have 3 lines right to left below the center cross hairs.

On many long range scopes one can turn the turrets for yardage however for me I would rather know what each hash marks true distance is from a set power setting and specific load.

Anyone know an easy way other than moving the target back and forth until it hits center at a given range?

You can start with what scope, model, and reticle you have to figure what those subtentions are, i.e., ...

SWFA SS Reticle Subtensions - The Optics Talk Forums

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_ret-rzr-hd_gen2_ebr-2c-31803-13a_moa.pdf

I have a Burris Veracity 4-20 on my .270 AI and have confirmed holdovers to 650 yards with my current load ...

Ballistic%20E1%20FFP%204-20x%20Burris1_zpsjrkiwdle.jpg

(Image is generated using Strelok Pro)

Cheers!

You can hang a large target at 100y and shoot each hash mark at the bull then measure how high the impact was compared to the point of aim. Then line that up with a ballistics calculator. This will give you an idea but not much more. The only way to know what they do is to shoot them at yardage. Zero the scope at 200y shoot the next at 300y see where it hits then the 3rd mark at 400y and document and so on.

Steve

In this discussion, is it possible to get your ranges in one State (Maryland) and have it relate to where you are going to hunt like in the mountains of western Montana (Elk hunt) where there is a significant change in elevation. How do you calculate these changes?

Jerry

In this discussion, is it possible to get your ranges in one State (Maryland) and have it relate to where you are going to hunt like in the mountains of western Montana (Elk hunt) where there is a significant change in elevation. How do you calculate these changes?

Jerry

Ballistics apps allows you to input elevation and other atmospheric information for estimated drop but when possible actual drop is best.

Yeah, tell us which scope you have. Someone will be able to find the subtends and then all you need is a ballistics app and your zero distance established and you're good to go. BDC's like that are usually useful up to about 400yrds. I don't like them but that's personal preference.

..........I would rather know what each hash marks true distance is from a set power setting and specific load................

As part of the question regarding which scope unless it's FFP, the hash marks mean something different at each magnification.

Never worked all that well for me.

Sightron 6x24x42 Mil-Dot scope. I have looked at Sightron web site but could not decipher their charts.............however I e-mailed Sightron and they replied "Unfortunately there is no easy way, we could try to make you a chart but we would need a lot more information" In short go away, don't bug us'! Nothing like customer service, I'll buy a different brand of scope next time.

Almost every scope I have bought over the years have mil-dots or lines, maybe I am missing the point but what are the dots or lines for if not ranging?

I was coyote calling last month and the coyote's would sit out at 500 yards or so but I had no way of judging hold over so I 'guessed' on the second mil dot and missed...................so it occurred to me if I knew what range each dot represented with my particular load I could make more accurate shots. I can't be the first one to think of this but it seems even Sightron doesn't know how to do this (or at least can't explain it). There is a problem with a company that sells a product but does not know how to use it...............

Thanks for your help I'll move the target until it hits center and then range it.

Earl..............

Thanks Barrelnut exactly what I was looking for.........................this is why I have always liked longrangehunting.com someone always knows...
Thanks again ..............Earl

But you need to model your particular cartridges trajectory in a ballistic program and then you take the Mil drop from the prediction at a certain range your target is at and hold over that amount of mils on the reticule .
That's the simple answer , but you also have to consider wind direction and strength and environmental conditions , elevation , temp etc. and Zero range in the ballistic program.
You could buy an ipod touch and load Ballistic AE into it . Then you apply all your cartridges data etc and it reads out a drop and wind chart to whatever max range .
In the field you can flick through to a range and alter wind parameters and it automatically gives you mil drop and mil wind hold off for that solution .
You need to do a lot of studying in this area before it all makes sense and have a range finder .

Thanks Barrelnut exactly what I was looking for.........................this is why I have always liked longrangehunting.com someone always knows...
Thanks again ..............Earl

use 27.77 instead if 28 if you are milling using inches though

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts