Using MOA hash marks for hold over

The best of both worlds is to use holdover out to about 400-500 yards - generally where you need speed!. After that dialing in will give more confidence in the shot.

For my hunting rifle I use drop cards that I build up carefully through the summer, I make them for different altitudes and keep the one I need for the trip tucked inside the butler creek cheekpad on the stock.

Jay

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I do exactly the same when big game hunting. Alot of times, you need to be quick out to 600 yds in my area, after that, you usually have time to dial. (Not that it matters, because I won't take a shot past this, without taking the time to find a solid rest and checking conditions).

I use a combination of tools depending on which outfit I am carrying. It gets exhausting sometimes. When I have time or I am target shooting i have started using the Let Fly Dlx app. It will let you customize for all of your rifles or use a panel of everage rifles of popular loads. It has shown to be accurate enought to hit 1 gal jugs on first shot out to distances I would not try hold- over on. It is an Iphone app but it may be available on other systems too. It allows you to customize for about any situation if you know your BC, MV, sight above bore, etc it will get you there.

My eastern whitetail rig is a 270wsm Model 70 with a 3.5x10 NF with the HV Reticle, good to 600 yards. The Reticle thickness is perfect, and the calibration lines up with exactly my load. Like others I have the adjustment values should I need to go further. I really like this scope. The rig has great balance and doesn't have the bulk you get with the bigger and heavier scopes. While it only has a 34mm objective, I can't tell the difference compared to the 40mm Leupold 4.5x14 it replaced. An additional benefit is that I have figured out the Reticle points to quickly and accurately range a whietail to 400 yards.

Hello this is my first post and it is a question, sorry. I have a 300RUM and a Viper PST FFP moa reticle. Do I really need a 20moa mount?
Great forum lots of good info.

you might want to give the free Strelok app a try, it should have the reticle built in to the app and show you where your holdovers are at each hashmark

Hello this is my first post and it is a question, sorry. I have a 300RUM and a Viper PST FFP moa reticle. Do I really need a 20moa mount?
Great forum lots of good info.

it completly depends on the range you plan to shoot the rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.