MOA hash mark reticles - missing in action

Litehiker

If you buy a mil/mil scope the chances are about 100% you'll have a reticle with mil hash marks.

Not so with MOA scopes. Mostly, with some exceptions for MOA target reticles, you'll get no hash marks. Why is that? I think MOA hunters are getting a raw deal in this respect.

An no, I'm not talking about MOA turrets and "BDC" reticles, which definitely are not MOA marks.

Eric B.

If you buy a mil/mil scope the chances are about 100% you'll have a reticle with mil hash marks.

Not so with MOA scopes. Mostly, with some exceptions for MOA target reticles, you'll get no hash marks. Why is that? I think MOA hunters are getting a raw deal in this respect.

An no, I'm not talking about MOA turrets and "BDC" reticles, which definitely are not MOA marks.

Eric B.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-long-range-hunter/lrhs-4-5-18x-44mm

John

Eric B.

For decades hunters killed lots of game with plain crosshairs. You could get fine crosshairs for.targets and duplex for hunting.

It was just recently with the "tactical " craze that all these different reticles started coming on the scene.

I think all those hash marks look cool but I never use them. Laser range finder and.dial either BDC or dial.

I think the answer to your question has more to do with there being about 3 and a half MOA per MIL. I'm thinking that the MOAR reticle that Nightforce offers has MOA hash marks ever one moa.

For decades hunters killed lots of game with plain crosshairs. You could get fine crosshairs for.targets and duplex for hunting.

It was just recently with the "tactical " craze that all these different reticles started coming on the scene.

I think all those hash marks look cool but I never use them. Laser range finder and.dial either BDC or dial.

You dialing for wind or holding off? The hash marks are priceless for making accurate wind holds.

John

Eric B.

Reticles | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

Actually the reticle choices available now are unbelievable compared to even 5 yrs ago.

Actually the reticle choices available now are unbelievable compared to even 5 yrs ago.

Yep I really like the leupold TMOA reticle.

Do like to bust the chops of the tactical mil guys though. It is like they think we CHS till tacticle came along

Guess I am just.old.a crotchety

No joke. Now we are also seeing them in scopes that don't cost a arm and a leg to buy!
An MOA based reticle was $1250 minimum in 2010. Now they are $250. Not the same glass lol but still unbelievable. I started out with a Shepherd and counting fenceposts. Crazy age we live in.

Er... maybe I spoke to soon? :D Yeah, SWFA has had 'em for a while. I have a mil//mil SWFA 3 - 15 x 42. And Vortex does know how to make a reticle.

Anyway, if your rifle is zeroed for 100 or 200 yards and you never shoot beyond 300 yards you're fine with Duplex style crosshairs. You'll still be "minute of deer".

But getting out beyond 400 yards with a Duplex reticle is not good, even with a 6.5 SAUM. You need mil or MOA hash marks (not dots) for longer distance shooting. It's just fair to the game to be precise.

Plus if you have a whiz-bang laser rangefinder W/ ballistic software that gives you a hold in which ever format you like then you need a hash mark reticle. I don't want to hunt W/O my laser rangefinder binoculars anymore. I could do it but I wouldn't like it.

Eric B.

Er... maybe I spoke to soon? :D Yeah, SWFA has had 'em for a while. I have a mil//mil SWFA 3 - 15 x 42. And Vortex does know how to make a reticle.

Anyway, if your rifle is zeroed for 100 or 200 yards and you never shoot beyond 300 yards you're fine with Duplex style crosshairs. You'll still be "minute of deer".

But getting out beyond 400 yards with a Duplex reticle is not good, even with a 6.5 SAUM. You need mil or MOA hash marks (not dots) for longer distance shooting. It's just fair to the game to be precise.

Plus if you have a whiz-bang laser rangefinder W/ ballistic software that gives you a hold in which ever format you like then you need a hash mark reticle. I don't want to hunt W/O my laser rangefinder binoculars anymore. I could do it but I wouldn't like it.

Eric B.

Well obviously you are a mil holdover guy. Different strokes for.different.folks

But don'the see how it.is.better. certainly not more.precise than dialing

A mil is 3.6 in. At 100 yards. At 1000 it's 3 feet!

Now your mil turrent is probably in 0.1 of a mil increments. Much more precise.

Hold over vs Dial argument is just.like FFP vs SFP whatever works for you.