Reticle Calibration of SFP Scopes: 10x or Max.❓

JungleShooter

Reticle Calibration of SFP Scopes: 10x or Max.❓

I keep reading here and there that the reticle of SFP scopes is calibrated at maximum magnification.
(For example, the mil or moa markings of a 6-24x50 SFP scope would be correct at 24x magnification.)

BUT: At least for the scopes that I have looked at this is not true.... 🤔
Most of them are calibrated at 10x magnification.

🔸 So, could you maybe shed some more light on this?
Do any of you have a list of SFP scopes that show at which magnifiation they are calibrated? Or is there a manufacturer's catalog that offers this information easy to compare?

Thanks, 😊

Matthias

It all depends on what the manufacturer specs the reticle to. Some are maximum magnification, some are at 15x, some are at ?. Each scope brand can be different, you need to read the owner's manual to find out.
I agree with this. The SFP Nightforce scopes I have owned(NXS and ATACR's) the reticle subtends at maximum magnification and a white dot marked on the magnification ring at 50% as a marker for 2x the values. In the case of my March 2.5x25x52 SFP, the reticles subtends at 20X with red numbers on the magnification ring at 20X and 10X. Most of my older Leupolds used max magnification with no markings on the mag ring.

Is there much long range hunting in Peru?

I spent a while memorizing the values on my new 2nd FP scope. At 10x, the most important marks are 2MOA and at 20x they are 1MOA. I don't really see navigating that to be a big obstacle.

FWIW: Vortex manual: "NOTE: This Vortex® riflescope (3.5-10x50) uses a second focal plane reticle design and the listed BDC yardages will be valid at the highest magnification for most models. For 6–24x50 models, the listed BDC yardages will only be valid with the magnification set at 18x (indicated by a red mark on the magnification ring)."

Troutslayer2:

I lived in Lima 2 years and hunted frequently. Ducks along the coast, doves inland, and deer in the Andes. I suppose there's hunting in the Amazon portion too, but never did that. I took a nice 6-point buck in the Andes.

Troutslayer,

long range hunting in Peru, plenty — depending on the kind of gun and the quarry...! 😉

➔ Read a brief overview in my intro-to-the-forum thread, post #1 and esp. #4. 👍🏼

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/🎯-living-and-shooting-in-peru.271901/

Epoletna,

very cool, 2 years in Peru, and hunting and all! Great! 😊
Just shows how small our world has become — and how our forum unites and brings us together. 👍🏼

Matthias

Troutslayer,

long range hunting in Peru, plenty — depending on the kind of gun and the quarry...! 😉

➔ Read a brief overview in my intro-to-the-forum thread, post #1 and esp. #4. 👍🏼

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/🎯-living-and-shooting-in-peru.271901/

Epoletna,

very cool, 2 years in Peru, and hunting and all! Great! 😊
Just shows how small our world has become — and how our forum unites and brings us together. 👍🏼

Matthias
I am looking forward to an upcoming trip to Peru. We are spending some days in Cusco and hiking the Inca Trail, and visiting some towns and cloud forests around Cusco.

Do you not have a scope currently and are just looking for info?
You would be better served if you can view the instructions online/download a PDF. My Leupolds are pretty easy but it requires zeroing depending on basic ballistic info, 200/300 yd. zero range and 600 yard drop test to confirm zoom value. The subtensions are then close.
Strelok app will also show where the subtensions will hit at based on your data input.

Hi Mattthias

I was there at a good time -- 1995-96. Terrorism and bombing in the towns was mostly over, although there were a few bombings in town during my stay. I had a very good friend with whom I went hunting or fishing almost every weekend. Then just as I was getting ready to leave, the MRTA took over the Japanese embassy. Fortunately, I avoided that excitement.

Just check when the reticle magnification is true on a target placed a known distance away.
Place a target exactly 100m away from scope. Mark on target a space of 30 centimetres and if your reticle is in milrad that should fit 3 milrad on your scope reticle. If reticle is in MOA mark a space 29 cm wide on target and it should fit in 10 MOA spacing on reticle