Restoring antique shotguns

To start with, I'm a BIG Model 12 fan and have more than I probably should. What you described are basically "field grade" guns that really don't have "collector" value. Hopefully they have heirloom value to you and your family. I am pretty sure that your guns have nickel steel barrels and if you decide to have them reblued, make sure you use a Model 12 expert gunsmith. My choice would be Eubanks in Idaho. If you do a search, you can find their website.

if you plan on shooting them, you probably ought to have the chamber ring replaced because today's steel based hulls are notorious for sticking in the chambers, even in many new, $30k+ over/unders.

Turnbull has spent his entire life developing his procedures and processes for restoring firearms. He has a world renowned reputation for the quality of his work. There is literally no one who approaches his abilities or results.

This places him in a position of market control. Yes, he has a lot of work so in order to control the workload, he raises his prices knowing that he will get only the cream of the projects needing his attention.

His concern is not for what profit you can achieve but rather that he is compensated for his knowledge, time, efforts and abilities. If your potential selling price is not up to your expectations of being enough profit, you had the wrong person complete the project. Maybe there is another way to get the results you want without overpaying.

Just like picking a gunsmith for your dream rifle or handgun, you have to balance quality and price against delivery time. There are lots of top quality gunsmith here in the U.S. but seemingly everyone wants to use the top 2 dozen for name only. Well, buckle up because they only have so much time and if the workload gets too big, the time frame and the prices go up.

Maybe you should allow someone else to handle your refinishing project?

Best of luck with your project!

:)
I guess I am confused why he would even bother offering the service. Are there really wealthy people out there who would spend that kind of money on a restoration for a firearm that will be worth literally only a fraction of the cost of restoration once it s done? Its not a matter of expectations of being enough profit but rather expectations of being too much loss. I understand workloads. Any really good gunsmith has work scheduled out for the next 2 years.

I am not going to spend $7200 to restore these 2 shotguns so I will either find someone else or not do it at all.

I guess I am confused why he would even bother offering the service.

No reason for confusion, he only has to offer the price and let the potential client decide on the feasibility.

Its not a matter of expectations of being enough profit but rather expectations of being too much loss.

There's your answer.

I am not going to spend $7200 to restore these 2 shotguns so I will either find someone else or not do it at all.

And there's your complete answer. End of story.

;)

I guess I am confused why he would even bother offering the service. Are there really wealthy people out there who would spend that kind of money on a restoration for a firearm that will be worth literally only a fraction of the cost of restoration once it s done? Its not a matter of expectations of being enough profit but rather expectations of being too much loss. I understand workloads. Any really good gunsmith has work scheduled out for the next 2 years.

Yes….yes there are. More money than brains.