Restoring antique shotguns

My advice would be to not worry about value if you are going to restore them as you won't likely get your money back out of them.

From a monetary standpoint if they are mechanically sound its better to just hunt them as they are. Any wear and tear from use won't bother you so much.

I'm always surprised that people even bother buying a modern pump gun when you can buy used but very serviceable model 12's or 870 wing masters for not much more and they are heads and above better quality than any pump gun made today.
I have a 1970's Wingmaster Model 31's and 17's and will likely be picking up an older Auto 5 and Model 12 within the month. I have seen SXP's break in a season and shot Model 12's that are 100 years old…..I will take the older guns any day!

There is no way that I am aware of that does not lower the value of 'antiques'. Any changes to the original firearm results in a lower price. You have chosen to stand between the rock and hard place.

You can call or write Doug Turnbull to get a salient response but be sure to have some Vaseline handy when he tells you the price. He is not bashful about getting his just reward.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/restoration-services/

;)
Price is definitely relative and I have never used them so I don't really know.BUT. he is one of the best in the business I'm led to believe.

I am picking up an old Remington model 31 and Remington model 17. Another shop that I found online that looks like they do excellent work is Will Brothers Restoration in Michigan. I am likely going to send my shotguns out there for a full inspection and reblue. Collector value isn't important to me however, I don't plan on selling the shotguns, just using them to hunt grouse and pheasant!
I live down the road from Wills. He does good work. He comes from a long line of really old school professional Smith's. His dad and granddad were some of the finest Smith's that graced a work bench. Theres three sons that work there and all are talented. I just bought a double rifle project from the elder brother, really did some genius tricks on it. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

I live down the road from Wills. He does good work. He comes from a long line of really old school professional Smith's. His dad and granddad were some of the finest Smith's that graced a work bench. Theres three sons that work there and all are talented. I just bought a double rifle project from the elder brother, really did some genius tricks on it. I dont think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks for the info. I had done a lot of looking around for smiths who work on older guns. Found a lot of smiths, read lots of reviews and looked at lots of examples of finished work. Of the 25 or so smiths I looked at, they impressed me the most and I liked their story and family history. I actually got in touch last week with them and will either be shipping 2 shotguns out to them or dropping off in February when I trek out to the UP to pick up my setter puppy. Thanks for the endorsement of their work, this makes me feel even better about my decision to go with them!

C6A73967-9727-4059-B91C-A58E6E2B1632.jpeg

The action is slicker than greased goose $h!t

I contacted turnbull and requested a quote. They came back with $3600 per shotgun. Thats a bit much especially considering I probably could not get a third of that back if I tried to sell them.

I contacted turnbull and requested a quote. They came back with $3600 per shotgun. Thats a bit much especially considering I probably could not get a third of that back if I tried to sell them.
That is so far past anything reasonable I can't believe it. Rebluing ANY gun, including a high gloss finish with fair amount of polishing should be maybe 15-20% of that. Redoing all the wood, even if they have to completely replace it, maybe $800 unless you are getting exhibition grade wood. You can order new, finished, walnut stocks from Boyds if you need new wood, biut from your original post it sounded like only the metal work needed to be cleaned up. If it were me I would be doing a whole bunch more shopping around. Best of luck, let us know how you make out.

This is how I see such "artifacts"
Option 1. Preserve them the way they are, stopping any further corrosion and keep for display only
Option 2. Remove all rust with 0000 steel wool, try not to damage any blueing. Either oil well or reblue and use. Did that for two cheap old firearms
Option3. Pay the money to restore! Personally I would not do that.

I missed the warning, but DAMNNNN, you were really right on the money. Definitely need the Vaseline.o_O

Turnbull has spent his entire life developing his procedures and processes for restoring firearms. He has a world renowned reputation for the quality of his work. There is literally no one who approaches his abilities or results.

This places him in a position of market control. Yes, he has a lot of work so in order to control the workload, he raises his prices knowing that he will get only the cream of the projects needing his attention.

His concern is not for what profit you can achieve but rather that he is compensated for his knowledge, time, efforts and abilities. If your potential selling price is not up to your expectations of being enough profit, you had the wrong person complete the project. Maybe there is another way to get the results you want without overpaying.

Just like picking a gunsmith for your dream rifle or handgun, you have to balance quality and price against delivery time. There are lots of top quality gunsmith here in the U.S. but seemingly everyone wants to use the top 2 dozen for name only. Well, buckle up because they only have so much time and if the workload gets too big, the time frame and the prices go up.

Maybe you should allow someone else to handle your refinishing project?

Best of luck with your project!

:)

Turnbull has spent his entire life developing his procedures and processes for restoring firearms. He has a world renowned reputation for the quality of his work. There is literally no one who approaches his abilities or results.

This places him in a position of market control. Yes, he has a lot of work so in order to control the workload, he raises his prices knowing that he will get only the cream of the projects needing his attention.

His concern is not for what profit you can achieve but rather that he is compensated for his knowledge, time, efforts and abilities. If your potential selling price is not up to your expectations of being enough profit, you had the wrong person complete the project. Maybe there is another way to get the results you want without overpaying.

Just like picking a gunsmith for your dream rifle or handgun, you have to balance quality and price against delivery time. There are lots of top quality gunsmith here in the U.S. but seemingly everyone wants to use the top 2 dozen for name only. Well, buckle up because they only have so much time and if the workload gets too big, the time frame and the prices go up.

Maybe you should allow someone else to handle your refinishing project?

Best of luck with your project!

:)
Amen, prices are dictated by what consumers are willing to pay, how much is it worth to you? Do you want the best?

I want the best, but can't afford it!🤣

Recent Posts