Restoring 700 Bdl stock

7CCFB097-7C9E-4E8D-8B44-ECA584C2F84F.jpeg
8767BF9F-AE93-4663-9989-F209E6F9B89B.jpeg
Citristrip works great and is no toxic. It's a mess but worth it. I just use a knife to scrape all the old finish off after it sits. Sometimes you have to do it twice. Tru oil is the real deal on finishing. I've done dozens of stocks for some very picky guys. I use 100-2000grit sandpaper. And I've put as many and 3 coats a day on depending on dry times and humidity. Patience is the key. Don't rush yourself and be aware of every little spot as the will show at some point depending on how many coats you go with. It's a fun process and one that's not difficult. Below is a old Winchester xtr. I redid for my dad with tru oil

View attachment 138071 View attachment 138070 Citristrip works great and is no toxic. It's a mess but worth it. I just use a knife to scrape all the old finish off after it sits. Sometimes you have to do it twice. Tru oil is the real deal on finishing. I've done dozens of stocks for some very picky guys. I use 100-2000grit sandpaper. And I've put as many and 3 coats a day on depending on dry times and humidity. Patience is the key. Don't rush yourself and be aware of every little spot as the will show at some point depending on how many coats you go with. It's a fun process and one that's not difficult. Below is a old Winchester xtr. I redid for my dad with tru oil
Gorgeous figure in that stock. Inspiring for sure.

image.jpg
Thank you! The stock had finish flaking and faded from many years of hard use. It's my dads favorite gun now. This is a picture of just a couple coats of Tru oil on a 700 and it looks good as well but still looks old. The Winchester has between 60-70 coats I think.

This is a stock off of a Remington 788 that I'm in the process of redoing. I wish I would've taken before pictures, but I didn't. I stripped it to bare wood, sanded it smooth, then started applying tru oil. The second picture is after the base coat of tru oil plus three top coats. I'm not sure if the finish is the same on the 788 as the 700, but it wasn't bad to strip off.
EBA7F9A4-DFAB-4E8B-B313-ED71CE6A3712.jpeg

95C673CF-CB7D-48EF-8568-D7AA438C81C6.jpeg

This is a stock off of a Remington 788 that I'm in the process of redoing. I wish I would've taken before pictures, but I didn't. I stripped it to bare wood, sanded it smooth, then started applying tru oil. The second picture is after the base coat of tru oil plus three top coats. I'm not sure if the finish is the same on the 788 as the 700, but it wasn't bad to strip off.View attachment 138116

View attachment 138115
That is a really nice job.

View attachment 138071 View attachment 138070 Citristrip works great and is no toxic. It's a mess but worth it. I just use a knife to scrape all the old finish off after it sits. Sometimes you have to do it twice. Tru oil is the real deal on finishing. I've done dozens of stocks for some very picky guys. I use 100-2000grit sandpaper. And I've put as many and 3 coats a day on depending on dry times and humidity. Patience is the key. Don't rush yourself and be aware of every little spot as the will show at some point depending on how many coats you go with. It's a fun process and one that's not difficult. Below is a old Winchester xtr. I redid for my dad with tru oil
Do you do less coating of Tru Oil when its dry or humid? Your example looks great.....our "monsoon" season is here and means high heat and steamy in AZ....

That's really nice. The last stock that I refinished was a '73 Winchester 94 in 30-30. Same as you, I took pics of it on a pool table. Perfect background with zero glare.

Do you do less coating of Tru Oil when its dry or humid? Your example looks great.....our "monsoon" season is here and means high heat and steamy in AZ....
The more humidity the less often you could coat. Still two a day Is doable. One before work and one when you get home. Have you a good place to hang it and let it dry. Maybe in front of a window. Also don't forget to finish the inside as well. This is also a good time to float your barrel. And I've found the best thing to use is toddler socks that aren't full cotton. Super slick finish and sand between every 3 coats. Starting and 400 grit and finish where ever you like when you get the gloss you want.

I realize this is an old post of yours but I'm wondering if this might be a service you provide? I can't send a pm yet but perhaps you can to me to discuss if this is a possibility?

788 was basically a paint.
This is a stock off of a Remington 788 that I'm in the process of redoing. I wish I would've taken before pictures, but I didn't. I stripped it to bare wood, sanded it smooth, then started applying tru oil. The second picture is after the base coat of tru oil plus three top coats. I'm not sure if the finish is the same on the 788 as the 700, but it wasn't bad to strip off.View attachment 138116

View attachment 138115
788 birch stock was basically painted. Acetone removes it. Totally different than the epoxy coating on a bdl

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.