Restoring threads in action

couesaddict

Hello, I'm by no means a gunsmith but am pretty handy and tinker with stuff quite a bit. I've got a model 70 classic that the first 3-4 threads on the tang screw hole are pulled on. I scrounged around and found a screw that is a little longer but still doesn't bottom out and it is holding for now. I see that they make 1/4"-32 heli-coils. Is that going to be my best option for repair? There is plenty of meat there to hold one but I've never installed an insert with threads that fine and am curious if it is strong enough. Thanks

The best way to fix it is go to a larger screw and re thread the tang to fit. The floor metal hole may have to be enlarged to except the larger screw but that is easy. I also recommend staying with the same thread pitch so the threads will clean up perfectly. (Don't thread a 32 pitch hole with a 28 pitch tap or vise versa.

I sometimes use a metric screw if it will clean up a stripped hole without enlarging the hole to much.

J E CUSTOM

The best way to fix it is go to a larger screw and re thread the tang to fit. The floor metal hole may have to be enlarged to except the larger screw but that is easy. I also recommend staying with the same thread pitch so the threads will clean up perfectly. (Don't thread a 32 pitch hole with a 28 pitch tap or vise versa.

I sometimes use a metric screw if it will clean up a stripped hole without enlarging the hole to much.

J E CUSTOM
I'll look into it and see what I can come up with for screws. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

You wouldn't, by chance, remember where you found the slightly larger sae or metric screws with the same head profile would you?

You wouldn't, by chance, remember where you found the slightly larger sae or metric screws with the same head profile would you?

I just look at the major diameter of the existing screw/bolt and compare It to the different charts for all other bolts/screws with the same or near the same thread pitch.

Sometimes I have to make the screw or bolt from a larger screw/bolt to fit the new threaded hole by turning the rest of the screw and head down to the original size. I realize that Not everyone has the equipment to do this, but i often have to make special parts for problems, So I'm use to doing things like this.

You can even install a pillar with a larger thread inserted into the action and drilled and taped to fit a shorter screw of the same original thread and pitch. The Remington 788 has a similar system on the rear action screw tang.

J E CUSTOM

Morning, if there is a fastner supply in ur area, they will
have what pitch, length, ss or regular carbon steel.
we have one here in SA TX. use regularly. also
check with brownells. last but least take to gun
smithy. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.