Restoring 700 Bdl stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Bob Wright, Jun 14, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Well-Known Member

I have what was a beautiful Remington laquered stock. My brother swapped it out for a SPS stock.
    It has a lot of wood dents, damage to the laquer finish and should have the embossed grip panels chased to clean up the dents there, basically redo them entirely.
    Has anyone restored one of these and what is the process? I have steamed a few dents out of oil stained stocks but this has 20 places that need attention.
    It has some sentimental value so I don't mind putting in the time this fall.
    Thanks.

2. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Hopefully Joel Russo will chime in. I've used his suggestions for wood finishing and he knows all the dope on this. YouTube videos on finishing with Tru-Oil as well. It's an enjoyable process, good luck.

just country likes this.
  3. WeiserBucks

WeiserBucks Well-Known Member

If it has sentimental value, leave it as is . Every ding and scratch has a story to tell !

4. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

I had one with 0 sentimental worth, so take this advice for what it costs you. I used 0000 steel wool with a light amount of auto rubbing compound. Did very gentle circular buffing strokes with it and wiped off and checked often. By moving carefully, I knocked down the glare and many of the dents and scratches were far less noticeable.

May be worth a shot before a total redo. Good luck either way.

Bob Wright likes this.
  5. SMK1000plus

SMK1000plus Well-Known Member

Pictures of the dents/damage areas would help determine the best remedies to suggest. There are several different methods that may need to be employed to correct the damages.

I have repaired and refinished many walnut stocks over the years. All of my finishes for the past 30 years have been hand-rubbed boiled linseed oil. That really brings out the beauty of the walnut but, takes months to do properly.

Let's see what your working with and I'm sure the guys here can help.

tony d willIiams and Alibiiv like this.
  6. Bob Wright

It's getting re-finished to erase the memory of one hunt where a careless person may as well just drug it behind a truck. Still ----ed. No nice stories of hunting here.

7. Bob Wright

Some photos. There are wood dents below the finish and a lot of abrasion. 20190614_160138.jpg 20190614_160128.jpg

Attached Files:

8. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

Bob Wright likes this.
  9. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

They don't look to bad.
    The only thing is you will have to remover all the finish to be able to get those out anyway.
    Just note in the vid what he did with the checkering!

Alibiiv, just country and Bob Wright like this.
  10. SMK1000plus

SMK1000plus Well-Known Member

I agree that refinishing is the answer to most of the issues but, some of those dings are deep and look to have cut/broken the wood fibers in places. Those are going to take some advanced lifting techniques, serious sanding and may still leave some small scars.

Bob Wright, I'm sending you a PM with my number to discuss the more advanced lifting techniques.

Bob Wright likes this.
  11. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Once you are done, please post some pics. Thinking they would actually buff out a bit, but a complete redo is for sure better.

Alibiiv and Bob Wright like this.
  12. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, as mentioned, go to youtube. the video's
    will show the methods used to rid the stock
    of dents. I did a modified stock two pieces of
    wood joined together with dowel pins on my
    6mmAI. the wood was not finished to my liking.
    the application of tru oil covers up a lot of dents
    thru applying and sanding. takes time. mine finished
    very nicely. get the tru oil kit. has everything needed.
    u can recut the checkering with the proper tools
    from brownells. TIME and patiences sp.
    justme gbot tum

Bob Wright likes this.
  13. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Your checkering is more involved than normal. You will need to be very careful and know which tool will work.

just country and Bob Wright like this.
  14. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Since y'all are discussing Rem BDL stocks, is there any, reasonably simple, way to remove that lacquer finish and convert one of these Rem BDL stocks to an oiled finish?

I have a pretty little Rem BDL stock on my 20-222 semi custom that I think would look much better if that glossy almost like it's a plastic outer layer finish, were removed and it just had a hand rubbed oil finish.

Maybe it would be more cost and work than the stock is worth. I'm certainly no wood guy, but if there is a simple way to remove that factory finish so I can give it an oil finish, I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction as to how to go about it.

This is what it looks like now and maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would look better with an oil finish. Thoughts???
    20-222 (2).jpg

just country likes this.