Removing lettering on savage action

Hal The Slayer

midnight ;try good old medical alcohol worked on a couple of older plinkers I had ,just remove bolt and soak rag and then rub briskly a few times.worth a try or polish it ,if you hate it that bad.looks great to me but we all have our preferences. Good Luck!

rem.xp100

LRI does bolt fluting and a very quick turnaround with several options for flutes
Thanks
Buck
Don't send a Savage bolt to LRI. Per their website:

AS OF 3.13.2018:
LRI DOES NOT FLUTE SAVAGE BOLTS.
IF YOU SEND US A SAVAGE BOLT IT WILL NOT BE FLUTED. WE WILL SEND IT BACK AND YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.

FEENIX

LRH Team Member

AS OF 3.13.2018:
IF YOU SEND US A SAVAGE BOLT IT WILL NOT BE FLUTED. WE WILL SEND IT BACK AND YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.
Interesting ...

ntsqd

AS OF 3.13.2018:
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.
I had noticed this in the past and wondered why so strongly worded myself. Clearly they don't want to work on Savage bolts. Just leaves more work for those who aren't as biased. OTOH I suspect that their legal footing is pretty shakey if you paid up front and they did no work. Return shipping, sure. The rest? I seriously doubt it.

KENNETH R BRACKENBURY

Acetone maybe? Otherwise vinegar and HCl acid are options to remove it without abrasives. You would have to soak it for an extended amount of time in vinegar. With vinegar and acid it will strip the black too. HCl has a chance of eating away and pitting the steel so if you’re not sure, it’s best to go another route.
Left my bolt in vinegar for cleaning and forgot about it. 4 days later had to replace main bolt body. All the hard chrome was gone.

freddiej

Any idea how to remove this savage lettering from this model 10 action? I do not want to ceracoat it and I want to keep the bolt black and just remove the lettering. Does anyone know how savage applies the lettering?
View attachment 175874
first of Savage like other rifle manufacturers laser etches their logos and other things on blackened rifles. so cold bluing would be your best bet. rebluing/phosphating the whole gun/bolt body.

Bucklowery

AS OF 3.13.2018:
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.

Sorry for the misinformation guys. Thanks for correcting me

Thanks

Buck

rem.xp100

Sorry for the misinformation guys. Thanks for correcting me
Thanks
Buck
Buck, LRI does do great work, you are not wrong there, they just won't flute a Savage bolt. I don't understand why, I've been doing them for years. They are harder material and wear tooling faster but the answer is to charge accordingly.

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce