Removing lettering on savage action

thats why
IMG_20151209_195853755.jpg

midnight ;try good old medical alcohol worked on a couple of older plinkers I had ,just remove bolt and soak rag and then rub briskly a few times.worth a try or polish it ,if you hate it that bad.looks great to me but we all have our preferences. Good Luck!

LRI does bolt fluting and a very quick turnaround with several options for flutes
Thanks
Buck

Don't send a Savage bolt to LRI. Per their website:

AS OF 3.13.2018:
LRI DOES NOT FLUTE SAVAGE BOLTS.
IF YOU SEND US A SAVAGE BOLT IT WILL NOT BE FLUTED. WE WILL SEND IT BACK AND YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.

AS OF 3.13.2018:
IF YOU SEND US A SAVAGE BOLT IT WILL NOT BE FLUTED. WE WILL SEND IT BACK AND YOU WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.
I had noticed this in the past and wondered why so strongly worded myself. Clearly they don't want to work on Savage bolts. Just leaves more work for those who aren't as biased. OTOH I suspect that their legal footing is pretty shakey if you paid up front and they did no work. Return shipping, sure. The rest? I seriously doubt it.

Acetone maybe? Otherwise vinegar and HCl acid are options to remove it without abrasives. You would have to soak it for an extended amount of time in vinegar. With vinegar and acid it will strip the black too. HCl has a chance of eating away and pitting the steel so if you're not sure, it's best to go another route.
Left my bolt in vinegar for cleaning and forgot about it. 4 days later had to replace main bolt body. All the hard chrome was gone.

Any idea how to remove this savage lettering from this model 10 action? I do not want to ceracoat it and I want to keep the bolt black and just remove the lettering. Does anyone know how savage applies the lettering?
View attachment 175874
first of Savage like other rifle manufacturers laser etches their logos and other things on blackened rifles. so cold bluing would be your best bet. rebluing/phosphating the whole gun/bolt body.

AS OF 3.13.2018:
THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.

Sorry for the misinformation guys. Thanks for correcting me

Thanks

Buck

Sorry for the misinformation guys. Thanks for correcting me
Thanks
Buck

Buck, LRI does do great work, you are not wrong there, they just won't flute a Savage bolt. I don't understand why, I've been doing them for years. They are harder material and wear tooling faster but the answer is to charge accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.