Savage Axis Action

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Maq Attaq, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Maq Attaq

Maq Attaq Well-Known Member

I was given a savage axis in 3006. How does this action differ from some of the other savage actions? Can action be used for a build? any input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lee Goodwin

Lee Goodwin Member

I have a axis2 xp in 270 win and shoot pretty good as is. I have heard something odd about removing the old barrel and needing to use compressed air to keep some kind of factory material out of the threads during barrel swap. The recoil lug is in the stock, not a part of the action. Boyds has stocks and it comes with a recoil lug. The axis short and long action is the same, it is just the magazine that is different sized ( by 1/4 inch or so.?). one of the two bolt head locking lugs is the same and one is about half the size of the savage 110 bolt head locking lugs. The barrel threads are a tad different than the 110, but I think is not hard to work around. I think it is a matter of how deep the V of thread is cut. The axis has a flat spot on the ejection port, left side of a right hand rifle, that looks like a good place to engrave your girlfriends name...

Barrelnut and Mike 338 like this.
  3. xdHammar

xdHammar Member

I have a savage axis in a Boyds AT One Stock and love it. Can be used in a build and its pretty simple. I have used the Northland Shooter Supply barrels and barrel nuts for easy swapping of barrels.

BW64 and Barrelnut like this.