300wm savage axis or t/c venture??

edodd

I'm looking to purchase a rifle in 300wm for up to 800 yards but not sure about which to get. They're about the same price. TC venture guarantees a 1" group or better but I hear awesome things about the savage axis. I plan on upping the stock then bedding it. If reviews are already posted can someone point me the right direction? Thank you!
P.S. I've also heard things about the R783. Any comments about it?

Last edited:
Go to Savages website and look at the model 111s. Choose one with an Accustock and you won't have to worry about the stock. I don't know anything about the TCs but I have a few Savage rifles and they are all shooters. My model 12 22-250 is a hole for hole gun, and my model 10 260rem does .5 on a regular basis. There are also several aftermarket parts for Savages, I don't know about TCs.

I'm looking to purchase a rifle in 300wm for up to 800 yards but not sure about which to get. They're about the same price. TC venture guarantees a 1" group or better but I hear awesome things about the savage axis. I plan on upping the stock then bedding it. If reviews are already posted can someone point me the right direction? Thank you!
P.S. I've also heard things about the R783. Any comments about it?

Personally I wouldnt go with either...as an other comment said I would try and save for a savage 10, 110, 11, 11...etc. All great shooters and try to get one with accustock BUT if you really cant afford any of those id go for the savage axis.

Well I can go a little more upwards in price. Would it be best to go with a higher number model? What I mean is, is a 111 better then a 110 or a 116 better then the 111 and the 110? And thank you this is really helpful!

I could be wrong but If you go savage you will have to go too the 111 series as I don't think they make the Axis XP or the Axis II in any mag calibers.

Well I can go a little more upwards in price. Would it be best to go with a higher number model? What I mean is, is a 111 better then a 110 or a 116 better then the 111 and the 110? And thank you this is really helpful!

The higher the number doesnt mean the better the rifle. How the numbering works is if it is only two digits (10, 11, 14...etc) it is a short action caliber such as 308, 243, 7mm-08 etc. If it is three digits (110, 111, 114) it is a long action caliber such as 3006, 270, etc. Once you pick your caliber then the ending number stands for the different model of savage. For example if you want 308 then you will be getting a two digit (10, 11, 14) I dont remember which one stands for which but 10 stands for a blued barrel I believe, 11 stands for stainless I think...etc. Go to their website...they show all the different models and numbers. The 300win mag will be a long action model so one with 3 digits. If I were you I would be looking hard at a weather warrior series one. They are a bit more expensive but will last a long time, come with both accutrigger and accustock. They are some of the best out of the box accurate rifles on the planet for the money.

Definitely get one with an accutrigger. The accustock's dont guarentee supreme accuracy but for the price they are great. If you dont get one with an accustock, try shooting it first before you have it bedded. You may get lucky and it may shoot great.

What kind of distance do you plan on shooting? Paper or hunting? what animals if its for hunting?

Ill be hunting elk, deer, bear, and wild pig. Shooting no more then 600 or 700 yards.

well for 600-700 yard shots you will want the most accurate rifle you can get. The kill zone on a deer is say..8-10inches. Now let's pretend your rifle is shooting 1MOA...this translates to a 7inch group at 700 yards with out any shooter error involved. Some guys are ok with this because their shooting skills are amazing. I am not the best shooter so striving for anything sub MOA is best. Id say you should look into the savage long range hunter OR savage HS precision. The long range hunter comes with the accu trigger and accustock with an adjustable cheak piece and a muzzle brake that works well. The savage HS precision is more expensive but also comes with a better stock that if you have bedded by a good gunsmith should shoot amazing. If on a budget, get the long range hunter, they shoot amazingly well too.

The weather warrior series will get you to 600-700 as well but when you are shooting prone to 700 yards you will definitely want a nice stable platform which a Savage 110 FCP HS precision bedded by a good smith will be.

For me it all depends on your hunting. If you will mostly be hunting under 300 yards with maybe a chance at further distances go for a lighter weight weathor warrior...if most your shots will be greater than 500 yards I would want a heavier stable gun with a nice bi-pod.

Another one to consider is the newish Rem model 700 long range rifle. Cabelas is /has been selling them for around $699. Broz thought the barrel looked like a sendero. Rem is planning to do a run of them in the .300 win mag this month. [E-mail from Rem on Mon.] Bell and Carlson stock w/ the aluminum bedding block. The price is right and can easily be modified if needed. I have one on order from the local gun shop. Bruce

Model 10s or 110s are tactical style rifles. 12s are varmit series. 11s and the rest are just different styles of basic hunting rifles. If your on a budget, out of the box, it's hard to beat a Savage. You can argue anything you want, as long as you want. But the Accustock and Accutrigger help make a really nice rifle. If your not recoil shy, the 300win will kill what ever you want it to.

I run my TC Venture out to 1000yrds at least once a month its a consistent 1/2 moa gun out to 500 but the plates are 1moa from 600 to 1000 and I don't walk out to check group size but I hit them with boring consistency...

Also, the axis does shoot pretty good but it has a light sporter contoured barrel and my Venture has a little more meat on the barrel I would consider it a medium-heavy sporter contour.

Personally I wouldnt go with either...as an other comment said I would try and save for a savage 10, 110, 11, 11...etc. All great shooters and try to get one with accustock BUT if you really cant afford any of those id go for the savage axis.

I'm a big Savage fan but don't under estimate what the TC Venture has to offer. I helped 3 guys from my squadron set-up their rifles (three .300 Wins and one .270 Win). All are shooting 1 MOA out to 300 yards with factory premium ammo.

I did a quick load (still need refinement) with .210 Berger VLD for one of my hunting buddy and he's well within 1 MOA at 600 yards.

As gohring3006 noted, the potential is there. IMHO, the TC Venture is more accurate than the average nut behind the trigger. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

OP,

There are definitely better choices, but out of your list, I'd go with the TC Venture.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I'm a big Savage fan but don't under estimate what the TC Venture has to offer. I helped 3 guys from my squadron set-up their rifles (three .300 Wins and one .270 Win). All are shooting 1 MOA out to 300 yards with factory premium ammo.

I did a quick load (still need refinement) with .210 Berger VLD for one of my hunting buddy and he's well within 1 MOA at 600 yards.

As gohring3006 noted, the potential is there. IMHO, the TC Venture is more accurate than the average nut behind the trigger. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

OP,

There are definitely better choices, but out of your list, I'd go with the TC Venture.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Was not trying to downplay the TC...just never owned/shot one. I have only owned savages, brownings and Remingtons. In fact the worst shooter of the bunch with factory loads was a high dollar remington 700. I couldnt get the thing to shoot any factory loads better than 1.5MOA but I have recently worked up a reload with TTSX shooting under 1 MOA all day long, some groups close to .5MOA. Savages have always shot well for me with factory ammo so when someone asks me which factory rifle gives highest chance for out of the box accuracy on a budget I always refer them to savage 10/110.

I am definitely by no means an expert lol but I have owned quite a few savages. Only shot out to 300 yards with them but it was very easy for me to find factory loads shooting sub MOA for those rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.