removable scope mounts

sheephunter

Gents,
I posted this question in other forms and got helpful opinions,mostly negative.Dont know whether all are based on experience.
I am focusing on mountain hunting to lets say 600y not 1000y.I usually have to ride to the area before walking the rest of the day.
Scopes particularily with turrets dont fit into the scabbards and are probably too exposed to injury.So I thought a removable mount would be the answer.Leupold advertises 1/2" return to zero which I believe is maybe too much giveup of accuracy.Talley states "probably 1/4 to 3/8" ",meaning they "probably dont know".Interlectually I hate the variable of not knowing that my rifle is on target but the potential benefit keeps me looking.

thanks for any advice

sheephunter

Hello

For what's it's worth.

I have a 12X Leupold without turrets that has 5 dots in it for ranges from 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 yards. The dots were put in for the velocity of a 264 Mag rifle with 140 gr bullets. All I need is my 200 yard zero to start with before I go hunting and it is on target to 1000 yards.
It will go into a saddle scabard.

I'm quite sure Premier Reticles can do that for you also with your caliber.

Later
Darryl Cassel

I use the Badger Ord. bases and rings and have no problem with return to zero. I can't quantify the error as I didn't measure it but it was essentially insignificant. I carry a 65 inch/lb torque wrench, the small "T" handle version for replacing the rings on the base. On hunts out of my geographic area I generally carry two scopes zero'd for the rifle, or I bring two rifles.

The year I went elk hunting my hunting partner and I each built our own scabbards. The long range guns and big scopes didn't fit in any commercial version so we were forced to build custom. It's not too difficult a process, I ordered the leather from a shop in Texas familiar with leatherwork. They were very helpfull and sent along some patterns as go-by's. They also recommended I use the double needle sewing that saddlemakers use. The scabbards turned out very nice and the outfitter loved them, they fit the horses fine and were very sturdy. I left mine with the outfitter as he is well known to me and had previously mentioned that he'd had several hunters rifles that wouldn't fit into his standard scabbards.

A few tricks we learned on sewing the leather. Use glue to get the leather sewing edges to stick together a little and also use the smaller spring steel paper clips (the ones with the U shaped blue steel and two folding metal tabs) to hold the leather together for sewing. Mark the holes with the rolling hole marker tool and then use a Dremel tool and small drill bit to make the holes. Once that is completed it's a snap to double sew the leather.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.