Remington VTR

Hairtrigger

Several times I have seen used Remington rifles with the triangle shaped barrel for sale.

To me it seemed like a solution for which there was no problem, I am assuming that fluting the barrel has more advantages than the triangle barrel.

Anyone here ever play with a triangle barrel Remington extensively

Over the years seen two in my area both where about as effective as throwing a handful of wheat but I have seen on the net some people saying they were half Moa guns go figure

Last edited:
From my understanding, the triangular shape was to provide stiffness, similar to a "bull" barrel, with a lighter barrel weight. I personally have never seen one, but they were supposedly tack drivers.

Had a 308 that shot amazing. Regret selling it. Loved the "brake" at the end. It was easily one of the mildest shooting 308s I ever had. I've always wanted to snag another one but have become a sucker for tikkas.

I've owned a Remington R15 VTR Varmint(223) since 2010. It's based on a Bushnell AR15 which was then, previously acquired by the company along with DPMS. It has a floated, triangular 1:9tw, 22" barrel. Other then a Jewel trigger which I installed, out of the box it continues to shoot factory 55gr Hornady/Remington ammo .5-.6MOA, and, 69gr SMK hand-loads, .2-.3MOA…….And used for 200/300 yard Egg Shoot Competition, and, coyotes/varmints. Holds POI hot or cold, clean or dirty….. and, lighter/trimmer/handier then my bull barreled AR's. It's still going strong.

I have the same R15 VTR similar to Greyfox except that mine has the stock trigger. It's a tack driver and it shoots Fiocci 50gr polymer tip like a laser. It's my go to rifle for coyote hunting and have shot many with it.

I have the bolt action VTR version in .223 as well and while just as accurate, that one sits in the safe most of the time.

The bolt action has the built in brake on the end of the barrel but the R15 has a solid barrel all the way.

Last edited:
Remington made two models with the triangular barrel that I sold as a FFL. The XTR and the VTR. The XTR did not have the muzzle break. I sold quite a few as a FFL and they shot very good, people I know that bought them still brag on how good they shoot. Remington discontinued the XTR and kept making the VTR, bad decision in my opinion. I have a customer that brought in a
308 VTR for me to sight in and so far it is not cooperating. Thank you

I had one in 308 with the muzzle brake. Shot great. I got bored, I sold it. I ran into the guy that bought it a couple of times after the sale. He bragged about how well it shot every time I saw him.

I have a VTR in 308 in my inventory. It's a decent shooting rifle, especially after typical Remington upgrades, trigger, stock. My wife uses it some during deer season here in WI. Nice handy rifle for the whitetail woods, 22" barrel.

The 308 VTR I am working on has .200 bullet jump with factory shells. And the owner is wanting to shoot light bullets. Sierra 135 gr. HP has .030 jump using mag length. Barrel should be shortened and moved back, but do not believe the gun is worth that expense.

I developed loads for two of them. Both shot better than .5, one 223, one 308. I think they are fugley looking so wouldn't own one personally, plus they weren't made in LH that I know of, but they shot great with no changes, right out of the box.

My son has one in 22-250 and it is a shooting fool. I've shot it and it will make you look good. We were shooting at Tannerite containers about the size of a baseball at 200 yds and getting one shot hits. I wish the rifling were a bit tighter. His will handle 60 gr bullets all day and 63,64 gr. flat base bullets but can't stabilize the 65 gr Sierra Game King which is considerably longer.