Remington VTR

Fine gun! My closest friend of 48 years bought one new in 300wm. We've hunted together since we were 16. No issues. I've shot the gun too many times to count as I have a 300 yrd range at home. Not fussy to reload for!

Had one in .22-250 and it shot extremely well. I just couldn't get used to the looks of the triangle barrel......

Show & tell, my dynamic duo. The coyotes and targets shot at sure don't know it's a triangle barrel...both of these are tack drivers.

Attachments

• PXL_20230129_024758988.jpg
    PXL_20230129_024758988.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230129_024544588.jpg
    PXL_20230129_024544588.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230129_024529062.jpg
    PXL_20230129_024529062.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'm rather surprised at these comments. I had previously guessed if it were such a good idea, other manufacturers would also be doing it (unless Remington patented it).
There are lots of great ideas, performance wise, that never really caught on. Beta was FAR superior to VHS, but VHS won, and that is just one example. Diesel car motors have many advantages over gas and are very common in europe and the rest of the world but really quite rare in North America.

I had the unusual opportunity to handle and shoot all of the factory chambered VTR rifles before removing all of the barrels to be replaced with aftermarket manufactured barrels. Some came to me right out of the box or rather New in the Box without having been fondled or fired. I have retained all of these barrels just for testing purposes and for just plain having some fun.

Here is a review from Tactical Life:

Final Notes
As with any other device, the proof of the pudding was shooting Remington's 700 VTR and the rifle delivers the goods! The bolt operated smoothly with zero binding and feeding was flawless. The integral muzzle brake performed as advertised and markedly reduced felt recoil and muzzle rise. Accuracy was excellent, with sub-MOA accuracy with all brands of ammo tested, despite the fact that we tested the rifle without breaking in the barrel and the trigger pull was on the high side, so once the rifle has a few hundred rounds through it, accuracy should be even better. The best group came with Black Hills 168-grain match ammo. Remington's latest iteration of its classic 700 is better than ever and while you can pay a lot more for a precision tactical rifle, based on our test sample you just can't get one that shoots much better!

Specifications: REMINGTON 700 VTR
Caliber: .308Win
Barrel: 22 inches
OA Length: 41.625 inches
Weight: 7.5 pounds
Sights: Fixed
Stock: Polymer
Action: Bolt
Finish: Synthetic (OD green or Digital Tiger TSP Desert Camo)
Capacity: 4/5
Price: N/A

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/gun-test-remington-700-vtr-308win/

In general, the VTRs all shot MOA after some testing with factory ammunition. Some managed sub-MOA groups with better factory ammunition. The muzzle brake was good to better with the higher pressure/velocity, cartridge/bullet loads performing quite well.

As with most inexpensive Remington stocks (like the VTR) I have always suggest ripping them off the rifle and selling them. They are awful. I did modify a couple with expanding bead foam and bedding but found it was hardly worth the time and expense. Using a better quality stock with pillars or bedding block made more of a difference. Using a much finer quality trigger made a huge difference.

It was the unique triangular shape of the barrel which drew shooters to the rifle. The built in brake saved some cash when shooters wanted or needed a brake added to their barrels. Everything else was Remington 700. Once the unique wore off, so did the sales.

Enjoy!

:)

I have a VTR in .308. The barrel moved as it heated (duh). Cold barrel shot and a couple after were always good. I think I gave it to my daughter when I started hunting with a Remington Sendero in 7mm mag. You know... because south TX deer are soooo big :)

Actually... it was because I used to hunt on high fenced ranches and those deer are sooo expensive. I know...I know... shot placement blah blah... I helped a friend look for his son's deer. It was a nice deer and he used his old youth .243, short barrel, on his hunt (in spite of everyone trying to talk him out of it). I literally crawled through what I call the game tunnels in the brush looking for pin head sized drops of blood. I found it about 50 yards (felt like 1,000) of crawling. It was hit in well but the bullet stuck in the opposite shoulder rather than exit and the entrance hole was small. I'll take a heavy TSSX bullet from my 7mag at 100 yards over factory ammo in a .243 in brush country an day of the week.

Recent Posts