Remington VTR triangle barrel

A moose is a big target, even at 600yds. So, just about any factory barrel will do the deed with decent ammo.

As for precision shooting, I expect that Rem has turned out a few VTR barrels that were pretty good shooters. But, factory barrels across the board are not as good as top shelf aftermarket barrels.

So, I would always lean towards, Kreiger, Bartlein, Broughton, Shilen, etc... over a factory barrel.

For an off the shelf Rem 700 308, I'd probably lean towards one of the 5R options. But, that's just an opinion.

-- richard

I purchased one , as did a friend some time back , in our opinions both , throwing rocks is more accurate than that Remmy . I have owned LOADS of Remington weapons and I would have to say that the most accurate factory rifle that I have ever bought is a Remington 700 Sendero in 308 caliber , no fluted barrel , I shoot a Springfield Armory scope w/the 7.62 CAM @ a 1,000 yard rangefinder . The scope was hard to find because I wanted an older one , but I would take it over ANY other scope built today . I shoot hand loads w/168 gr HPBT Bergers & 168 gr HPBT Seirra Match King . The Sendero is somewhat more costly , but 100 times more accurate . Just thought I would give you a heads up . Both rifles that we (my friend & I) bought are both inaccurate with any loads , handloaded or not . Hope this gave you a bit of insight and I hope you explore your options before your purchase . Any questions , feel free to contact me . Good luck & God Bless !!!!!!!!

For an off the shelf Rem 700 308, I'd probably lean towards one of the 5R options. But, that's just an opinion.

That's a good opinion. For a factory remington, the 5R is at the top. You can find them for less than a $1K, and every one I've seen shoots really well right out of the box.

I have yet to shoot one , but have heard nothing but good things. The sender's are a little over a grand,but their worth it . Well I hope you find a perfect shooter . Good luck and God bless !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.