Remington VSF testing

arthurj

Hey everybody, I know there are lots of people who love remington rifles out there but I have been seeing a lot of "remington bashing" lately. I am by no means an expert shooter, but I wanted to post my first group testing results for my new VSF .308. After a 20 round break in and a quick sight in my five shot group measured less than .5" and the last four shots of the group were under .3" with federal gold medal match 168 grn ammo. Hopefully my handloading technique is good enough to cut that group down even more. Anyway I just wanted to say that there are "some" good rifles coming from remington.

I'm pretty happy with both my VS .308 and Sendero 300WM. I shoot .75 or better with both and I'm pretty sure that a better shooter could do better.

Hey ArthurJ,
How do you like youir VSF?

I'm planning on buying one (in .308) before the end of the month. How much did you pay? Likes, dislikes? Have you made any mods? What loads does it like and have you chrono'd them?

More than some...my Sendero goes .3-.5 consistently (300WM) and my buddy's .308 VS does the same.

esorenson,
I love my 308! It shoots excellent, better than I can hold it. To be honest I can't remember exactly what I paid, somewhere around 800$. I am using the old varget, 175 matchking combo. All charges between 44 and 45 would have been acceptable for me but the best has been at 44.6 grains. I just got a chrono last month and the average velocity of this load was around 2650. This was in 85deg 29.5pres. I've got the bullets seated way out for the best load, so they don't fit the mag. When I load them to fit the mag, it still does 3/4 moa, so sometimes I use that depth for hunting.
I did my first ever skim bedding job on this gun and I must have gotten lucky on it, because it definitely improved the consistency of my groups. Other than that I put a jewel in it, which I love.
I love the gun though, I'd say go get one.

New Varget? Oh well just another variable! Your rifle sounds great! I need a new project. Bedding the HS stock, in my opinion, is absolutely necessary to achieve full potential. I can't wait!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts