Idaho legal 338 Allen Mag testing

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
I just finished roughing out a 15.8 lb 338 AM for a customer here localy. Here are the specs and results:

BAT 8.5" action
DE recoil lug (makes it look like a giant 700)
Broughton 32" 6 flute 3/8" flutes
DE custom 5 port slab brake
HS Precision PSS stock modified to take the BAT action
Remington bottom metal (this leaves a nice little space for a few things like a drop chart)
Jewell trigger
DE cheekpiece
BAT 40 moa tapered base
NF rings light weight
NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm NPR1
ACI mounted to scope tube
scope level lo pro
Harris "s" bipod w/ pod loc
Chambered in 338 Allen Mag. w Kirby spec reamer

Fired fromed brass today with customer, loaded a preasure series and shot indoors with IR chronograph. Settled on 145 grains of H50BMG, CCI 250's, 300 gr. SMK @ 4.140" OAL. Chrono readings indoor went 3336 fps. Preasure signs were slight, but very reasonable. We loaded up a dozen rounds to go put on paper and drove to the range. We set up in 28 degree, 20%, 2200', 27.6 conditions. I zeroed at 100 yards dead on. My customer shot a 3 shot group just over 1/4". We turned to the 1100 yard plate to see what the drop looked like. I have noted before that my indoor IR chrono readings seem to be a little slow. The exbal program however is pretty close concerning velocity and the flight of the 300 gr SMK. Our dope @ 1100 yards from a 100 yard zero was 18.50 moa!!! Running these figures through the trajectory validation program gives a velocity of almost exactly 3400 fps. More testing of course will confirm this but a sub 16 lb, 1/4 moa, 8000 fl/lb rifle will be tough to beat in Idaho. The 5 port slab break worked wonderfully, both Jr and I were of the opinion that if you could not see what you were shooting you couldn't tell the recoil from my personel 338 Edge we had there with one of my 1" breaks on it. It was very pleasant to shoot. I must commend Kirby's cartridge design, fairly easy to work with and most importantly it will be the ultimate packable "smokin fur" rifle. I will post pictures as soon as I have the finish work all done and shoot some serious test groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Geez, I just hate to hear things like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now I'm gonna have to get off of the couch and go make some fun money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I showed your post to my 338 RUM and it just drooped its barrel in shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think it needs counseling but I'll save those kinds of $ for something a bit bigger.

Shawn,
Does the 8.5 BAT action eject loaded ammo or just the empties? I have been using a 10" and 11" for my customs, but they eject loaded rounds plus are magazine capable.

I have built 3 this year under the 16# rule. I am currently working on one that should be around 11# when finished, basic rifle weight, no scope.

Dave

Shawn,

Very good my friend, its pretty clear there is a serious power shift jumping up to this class of 338 magnum. Load of fun ain't it!!!

By the way, has Travis heard about this little rifle yet??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suspect a rifle order for you after he shoots something like that the first time!!

Anyway, great rifle as expected.

Keep us posted.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sounds like another great rifle! I look forward to seeing the pictures and more performance tests.

I'm sorry that I have to ask this here, but what exactly is a 338 AM? I've looked everywhere else and would like to know what cartridge is it based off of?

Thanks

Devin

ANY ONE WANT TO BUY A UNDER POWERED 338 EDGE. JUST KIDDING LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
GREAT JOB SHAWN WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT WHEN FINSHED

BD408

You can make a couple of small cuts and get it to eject those long rounds by hitting the bolt release and going back an extra .5". It is not a pain or anything after mods ejecting a loaded round is very simple but will not just eject by simply pulling the bolt back. Your not getting those 10" actions under 16 are you?

The 338 Allen Mag was designed by Kirby and is based on the 408 Cheytac case necked down to .338 and blown out to his specs. Kirby has allowed be to use his design and reamer specs along with initial testing info this was a big benefit for me and I am very greatfull. The design is a whole different planet of power compared to the 338 Edge.

Shawn,
Yes i can get under 16 easy with the 10" or 11" actions. My personal rifle is 16 all tricked out and its my 11" full bolt action. 1.600 dia. stainless.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.