Bill & Lerch's "APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag"

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Bill & Lerch\'s \"APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag\"

The long grueling wait is over and FedEx finally droped off a 100 + # package. I was gone to lunch and they told me the first thing he said was HELP!!!!! There's not really much to say other than we are both VERY HAPPY w/everything about the gun!! As usual, Kirby's work is impeckable. I'll shutup now and let the pics do the talking!!

Here's the specs:
338 Allen Mag
Lilja 40" 1.75 straight tube pipe 1-10" twist
Bat 10" action
McMillan HBR stock weighted to 25#(30% white,30% grey, 40% black).
Ivey 150MOA adjustable rings
Jewell Trigger set at 5oz
NF NXS 12-42x56mm CH-3 reticle

Here's the package as FedEx delivered it.

OurBigGirl001.jpg

OurBigGirl002.jpg

Here are the Storm cases opened revealing the contents!! The bbled action was shipped in a seperate case from the stock. Keep in mind these are full size 52" rifle cases!! You could curl the bbled action and get a workout!!
OurBigGirl003.jpg

OurBigGirl004.jpg

OurBigGirl005.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of Kirby's fine bedding work and the lead in the stock.
OurBigGirl006.jpg

OurBigGirl007.jpg

Me tightening the action screws and Lerch mounting the scope.
OurBigGirl008.jpg

OurBigGirl009.jpg

A few pics of the rifle fully assembled.
OurBigGirl018.jpg

OurBigGirl019.jpg

OurBigGirl020.jpg

Lerch and I beside the rifle. The **** thing is as tall as I am!!!!
OurBigGirl014.jpg

The 5" forearm.
OurBigGirl015.jpg

She weighs in @ a feather lite 59.3 # scope and all. We were thinking that she would be about 70# but 60# is plenty!!! As you can see from these pics Lerch and I both ate our Wheaties this morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
OurBigGirl016.jpg

OurBigGirl017.jpg

Re: Bill & Lerch\'s \"APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag\"

All I can say is WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya won't be throwing that over your shoulder will ya!!

Be interested to hear some reports from the range.

That stock looks like a weapon on it's own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That thing is a BRUTE man. I can hardly wait to see some targets. Hell Tim is heading North this evening, I will have him set one up and call you with the coordinates. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I doubt we will ever place an order for one like that, but if you ever head south be sure to pack it along, we will definatley shoot up some of your ammo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WHAT THE HECK IS THE MUZZLE BRAKE FOR???? DECORATION! Or MAKE THE RIFLE SOUND MORE LIKE IT LOOKS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Scope looks to small, you need to mount a Wild Rangefinder on top!

Nice!

Bill and Lerch, that is an awesome looking rig. Kirby's work looks awesome. I can't wait to hear how she shoots. Keep us informed. I feel sorry for the PDogs out your way, I don't think they're going to be safe unless they're about 4000 yards away.

Wildcat

The rifle is a absolut beauty, thanks again Kirby, you do amazing amazing work!!!!!

I was more than a little worried when i saw what condition the boxes were in but those Sako Storm cases are as tough as nails!

Though that thing is tiring to carry around that is not sweat under my arm pit in that last pic!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It will probably be a week or so before we get to serious work with her, we have a 1K bench shoot in a couple of weeks and we have to get ready for that.

It truly is a thing of beauty and pics really dont do it any justice, once you see it in person you get a feel for the true mass of this hoss!!

thanks again kirby, job well done

steve

That is very good. I was wondering how Kirby would manage to ship something that big.

Just in time for the weekend. Of course you want to be careful on Sunday as that is April 1.

Boys,

Glad that trip is over. Looks like it made it in good shape dispite the look of the boxes!!

What the hell is that thing the package is sitting on in the first pics, I packed that thing into my shipper over my shoulder!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will have to recheck my scale. I was getting 65 lbs with the bare rifle, that was why I was predicting 70 lbs with rifle scoped up. Sorry for that.

Looks like you got her all put together and ready to throw some lead. Clean her up good before you head out, her bore is still pretty dirty from my testing I am sure.

Anyway, glad she made it and your happy. Now go out and set the new world record and tell everyone you can who made your rifle and what its chambered in!!!

You get any customers looking at you strange yet after seeing her in the store???

Your right, it the pics look good but they do not give this rifle the justice it deserves. It really has to be seen in person to appreciate the size of the rifle.

About the brake, without it the recoil is a mild rolling push. With the brake, there is nothing at all, less then a 22-250 in a varmint weight rifle I would estimate with a 300 gr SMK loaded to 3450 fps. Is it needed, nope but its sure makes the big girl sweet to play with!!!

Again, glad your happy. Keep me posted with any questions you come up with. There will be some I am sure starting out loading for the big girl.

Kirby Allen(50)

You should have heard the Fed Ex guy kirby, he got out of the truck in the pouring rain we are having now and was yelling "help, help, i cant pick this big ------ up by myself"!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is the recipe for fireforming loads with cornmeal??? BJ may need it this weekend since the gun lives at his house, his safe is big enough.

she really is a beauty kirby, we will make ya proud with her. It is ridiculous how small that huge 12-42 NXS looks on it!!!!

take it easy
steve

That sure is a cute little rascal isn't it??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beautiful, absolutely beautiful and I know it'll shoot even better than it looks.

The pic of you two standing there holding the gun reminds me of the farmer and his wife holding the pitchfork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now just hurry up and get a load worked up for it and start slinging lead down range. Times a wasting and records need to fall.

Just remember, if you do anything with the VHA you'd better get your stuff in early or they won't get your mug shots posted or maybe even recorded.

Glad to see you finally got it and I can't wait to hear how it goes in the upcoming weeks.

No wondering now why you where looking for a BIG-HEAVY duty bench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifThat aught to be a ***** cat to shoot though with a brake and all that weight.Thats a lot of barrel to hang on an action? Hope it shoots as good as it looks
fing02.gif

I used to like big guns too but they have such a big apatite and carrying them around gets to be a workout in itself.
verminthumperboomer.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts