Remington owns Barnes ?

It's funny everyone gets caught up on this or that "brand" and in all reality the one they may not like actually owns the one they praise. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Barnes or Remington although their stuff has took a drastic turn for the worse . In my opinion but I'd not turn some of their stuff down if I could get it at the right price or absolutely needed it

The Barnes sale happened a long time ago,... so if you haven't seen a big change I wouldn't worry about it to much now until you do. Randy was still the manager last time I was there. I have seen zero decline in their products and we go through a bunch. Remington not so much..

As far as mono bullets are concerned, I go with Cutting Edge Bullets when ever I need a premium bullet. They have worked every time for me. I think they have a bullet for pert near everything.

The 165 vs 168 as explained by Barnes

All of our bullets are just as accurate as the next. The 165 gr TTSX will shoot just as good and accurate as the 168 gr TTSX. It all depends on the hand loader finding the best powder and load his rifle likes. The 165 gr TSX and TTSX has a shorter ogive and is designed for cartridges such as the 300 Win Mag. With the shorter ogive length and groove placement we are able to successfully seat the 165 gr TTSX down to the required SAAMI length for the 300 Win Mag with our factory ammo. The 168 gr TSX and TTSX has a longer sleeker ogive and different groove placement. It is designed for cartridges that can accept a longer ogive yet still be within the maximum SAAMI length 9such as a 308 Win or 30-06). Therefore due to the sleeker design, it has a higher ballistic coefficient than the 165 gr TTSX.

The 168 gr will also expand down to a lower 1500 fps than the 165 gr which needs 1800 fps.

However as a hand loader you can use either bullet in whatever 30 caliber cartridge you may have. A hand loader does not have to follow the SAAMI spec and can seat his bullet for the optimal COAL that his rifle likes best. If you have a 300 Win Mag with a detachable magazine that will not allow a loaded round to be any longer than the SAAMI spec of 3.340" then you would need to use the 165 gr TSX or TTSX. If your rifle has plenty of room in the magazine, then you can use either weight. If you are into long range shooting then you would want to (if your rifle allows) use the 168 gr TTSX for the higher B.C. and lower velocity expansion. Another great bullet I recommend for long range and a magnum cartridge is the 175 gr LRX.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.