Remington long range (28 Nosler)

w33b8t1

I don't post much at all here (mostly read), and I am not sure this this is even the correct subforum so please move if it you need to.

I saw Cabelas and Sportsmans have a weekend deal on Remington Long Ranges right now. I am thinking of putting a bit of money on one and picking up up after the holidays.

However the cartridge choices are a bit limited. 7mmRM, 300WM, and 300RUM. of those, the only one I have is a light weight Ruger 300WM hunting rifle. I have started to look into the 28 nosler a bit and think I want to go down that road at some point.

I have two questions about this.

1. assuming I do change to a 28 nosler at some point; the best rifle to start with would be the RUM did to the red rails being more compatible?

2. everything I have read, dated within the last year, talks about no brass availability for the 300RUM. it isn't discontinued and seems to be holding its own, so what is this brass shortage talk all about?

I probably won't be shooting out barrel after barrel in this rifle, just some occasional fun and hunting. I have a smaller 308 that I shoot regularly and a lot of 223.

Go with the RUM and don't look back. Buy a few boxes of the precision Hunter ammo by hornady. Break in your rifle, and let your buddies shoot some also. Then you'll have plenty of brass for handloads.

For a future .28 Nosler build, the 300 RUM would be your best starting platform that will need the least bit of work done.

Go with the RUM and don't look back. Buy a few boxes of the precision Hunter ammo by hornady. Break in your rifle, and let your buddies shoot some also. Then you'll have plenty of brass for handloads.
Pretty sound advice.

There's no shortage of high quality factory ammo out there for the .300 Rum and for what you pay for brass if you can find factory ammo that shoots well for you, you might as well start with it and that way you're starting with brass that's fireformed to your chamber when you start loading.

300rum ammo rifle

I just ordered my RemLR in 7mm RM. (Darn it, missed the Remington rebate.) For two months I agonized over the right gun and the right caliber. I know the trigger isn't the best and a Timney will need to be dropped in quickly, but other than that.....the gun is getting rave reviews and is widely considered the best buy and best entry gun to LR/ELR shooting.

I am new to LR and ELR shooting, so I thought the 7RM would be the right place to start. I wanted readily available ammo, brass and great bullet choices, all which would be affordable. I also wanted lower recoil, compared to the 30 magnums.

Sure, some will point out the weakness of the barrel with only a 1:9.25 twist and stabilizing long bullets, but even the Berger 195gr is stable where I shoot at 6,000 feet elevation according to the calculator.

Can't wait to receive the gun from Bud's, get the Vortex mounted and print some holes!

I just ordered my RemLR in 7mm RM. (Darn it, missed the Remington rebate.) For two months I agonized over the right gun and the right caliber. I know the trigger isn't the best and a Timney will need to be dropped in quickly, but other than that.....the gun is getting rave reviews and is widely considered the best buy and best entry gun to LR/ELR shooting.

I am new to LR and ELR shooting, so I thought the 7RM would be the right place to start. I wanted readily available ammo, brass and great bullet choices, all which would be affordable. I also wanted lower recoil, compared to the 30 magnums.

Sure, some will point out the weakness of the barrel with only a 1:9.25 twist and stabilizing long bullets, but even the Berger 195gr is stable where I shoot at 6,000 feet elevation according to the calculator.

Can't wait to receive the gun from Bud's, get the Vortex mounted and print some holes!

It's hard to go wrong with a 26" heavy 7mm RemMag. Post up your results and review when you get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.