Remington Customshop AWR II rifles

elkhntr

I am considering ordering a AWR II in 300 Win Mag from Remingtons custom shop. Their basic price is $2400.00. Compared to all the custom gunsmiths asking $ 3500- 6000. not a bad deal for a blue printed custom rifle which comes with remingtons lifetime warrenty. My question is does anyone have experience with or own a rem. custom rifle from their shop and does the rifle do what they say. NOt sure what I may be missing between Rem. custom shop rifle and the guys that want $3500 plus for theirs which are remington clones with a twist to make different. I plan to load berger 215 VLD for elk out to 800 yd

Your local gunsmiths are living high off the hog !!!! Surely you have a 700 action laying around.. Blueprint $200. Rebarrel-chamber-etc $700. Jewell $200. Stock $500... That's a far cry from $6000.00...and you'll have an awesome rifle for a $1000.00 less than the factory rifle and you can get it in a cartridge of your choice. Merry Christmas !!

Your local gunsmiths are living high off the hog !!!! Surely you have a 700 action laying around.. Blueprint $200. Rebarrel-chamber-etc $700. Jewell $200. Stock $500... That's a far cry from $6000.00...and you'll have an awesome rifle for a $1000.00 less than the factory rifle and you can get it in a cartridge of your choice. Merry Christmas !!

Yep, sounds like I need to get my gunsmithing cert, and move to wherever they are charging $6000 to build a factory-actioned rifle. I could build 4 per month (1 per week) and live like royalty! :cool:

Assemble the parts your self and send it to a reputable smith. Gre-Tan or Bob Green would be my first two choices. It won't cost you anywhere near 6K and you'll have exactly what you want. You'll get a match grade barrel instead of a factory tube.

Aaron

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Im definately not going to pay what some of these gunsmiths are asking

Send your 700 action to a reputable smith and you will have a much better product than the Rem custom shop rifles. I have rebarreled several of them and the quality wasn't there.

I am considering ordering a AWR II in 300 Win Mag from Remingtons custom shop. Their basic price is $2400.00. Compared to all the custom gunsmiths asking $ 3500- 6000. not a bad deal for a blue printed custom rifle which comes with remingtons lifetime warrenty. My question is does anyone have experience with or own a rem. custom rifle from their shop and does the rifle do what they say. NOt sure what I may be missing between Rem. custom shop rifle and the guys that want $3500 plus for theirs which are remington clones with a twist to make different. I plan to load berger 215 VLD for elk out to 800 yd
This one came from the Custom Shop circa 1990-92. I went nuts reading about the 7mm STW and Remington was the shortest route to getting there at anything close to a price I could afford. It has been an incredible rifle for me with zero problems.

2253d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwbcataug11.jpg
The stock is no longer factory but that's the only aftermarket product. Original trigger, firing pin, springs etc.

Sadly with all the quality control problems at Remington today there's no way I'd trust them again and would instead go with one of the custom builders that frequent this site or just go directly to Len's Store and see what he has available instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.