remington 788 23-250 action

bruton

I have a rem 788 action that was in a fire , gunsmith checked it out and said its fine ( plastic onsafty and on clip is still intack) so it couldnt have gotten veru hot , it has been bead blated and primered to keep it from rusting , what would it be worth thanks , Jeff

Tough call. In good working condition value's 300 ish and competing with new low end rifles. As is, needing everything and finish too, you'd be lucky to get $ for it.

Was it mine, I'd find some youngster in the family who'd apreciate the chance to turn it into a rifle. Could be a fun project.

do this:

* remove the barreled action and inspect the wood stock wherever in contacts the metal. Look for burn marks. If all that looks good, then check the barrel for warpage with a good strait edge (not a yard stick). Check this in at least three places on the barrel. Now run a nice tight patch down the barrel. Feel OK? Did the patch come out kinda sootey looking? If the wood and action look good the rife probably didn't get that hot, but external heat can cause you grief with the barrel.

* now lets say we saw some slight burn marks in the wood where it contacts the action. I'd plan on replacing the barrel, and have the bolt and reciever rockwelled in several places. I doubt it got hot enough to worry, but better safe than sorry. When they check the hardness of the reciever and bolt, you need to be looking for numbers in the 30RC to 40RC area. I don't see a problem with your rifle as the wood wasn't burnt. It'd take about 900 degrees for an hour to give you a problem, but 300 degrees on one side of the barrel will often cause a warp.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.