Remington 700 Sendero

quigley257

Hi guys. I have a Sendero in 25-06 that I purchased new when they were fairly new on the market. It has served me well over the years. The number of deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, crows and other critters that have fallen to its shot is staggering. It is without question the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned. That said, the barrel is starting to lose its accuracy and I'm starting to research options at this point. I love long range shooting and the 25-06 has served me well in doing what I've asked it to do. I want to ask what YOU would do if you were in my shoes. The .470 bolt face limits cartridge options. Is the thought of going to a short action cartridge blasphemy in this rifle? Please feel free to share opinions and ideas. I am located near St. Louis, MO so I would like to finding a local gunsmith would be preferred, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!! -quigley

Hi guys. I have a Sendero in 25-06 that I purchased new when they were fairly new on the market. It has served me well over the years. The number of deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, crows and other critters that have fallen to its shot is staggering. It is without question the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned. That said, the barrel is starting to lose its accuracy and I'm starting to research options at this point. I love long range shooting and the 25-06 has served me well in doing what I've asked it to do. I want to ask what YOU would do if you were in my shoes. The .470 bolt face limits cartridge options. Is the thought of going to a short action cartridge blasphemy in this rifle? Please feel free to share opinions and ideas. I am located near St. Louis, MO so I would like to finding a local gunsmith would be preferred, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!! -quigley

If you want a magnum you can open up the bolt face and give some some light machining to feed the larger rounds and have it rebarreled and chambered. My preference would be a 300WM or 7RM due to component availability, but you could easily have it chambered for any of the RUM cases too if that's your pleasure.

If you decide to keep a standard bolt face a good efficient cartidge is a 280AI. All of the above can be accomplished by any good gunsmith easily.

If you want it, go for it. From your list of critters I don't see the need for the magnum unless its just on your "list". I certainly wouldn't waste the time and $ chambering it in 7rm when the 280ai will give you very comparable ballistics.

What is the purpose of the rifle? Do you trek with it? sounds like medium game hunting rig, of which the 280 and 280ai will do all day with a little more umpf than your 2506.

You could just cut off a few threads and chase the lands if the rest is in shootable shape.

If you love the .25-06, then I'd say have someone rebarrel it with an identical barrel, chambered in .25-06 Ackley Improved 40*, and get a little bit extra out of the case.

Or, if you want a larger diameter bullet, the .280 Ackley Improved is a phenomenal cartridge, that also uses the .470 bolt face. The ballistics can fall around 100 fps shy of a 7mm RemMag. Which is outstanding. Alot of people overlook the .280 AI for a big magnum caliber, but I can assure you, it is an outstanding round. I've been researching the caliber for many many years, and my next build will most definitely be a .280 AI.

If you go .280 AI, I would still stick with a Sendero contour barrel. My preference is a 5R rifled barrel, like a Bartlein. If you're going .280 AI, I would go 1:9 twist so you're covered from 120's all the way up to 180's.

Or a 6.5 Sherman. That still utlizes the .270 Win case to form brass from. If he wanted to step up to a REAL 6.5.... :D

I still think the .280 Ackley would be his best option.

Thanks for the ideas. The 280ai seems like a good option for multiple uses. It will cause all my 25-06 brass and supplies to be shelved. Has anyone had good luck shortening and rechambering to get more life out of the barrel? How does that compare cost wise to rebarreling? I'm working on a tight budget. What's the best bang for the buck in replacement barrels?

Thanks for the ideas. The 280ai seems like a good option for multiple uses. It will cause all my 25-06 brass and supplies to be shelved. Has anyone had good luck shortening and rechambering to get more life out of the barrel? How does that compare cost wise to rebarreling? I'm working on a tight budget. What's the best bang for the buck in replacement barrels?

Setting a barrel back is not very cost effective. If that barrel is truly shot out or getting there, then there will be fire cracking a good ways down the tube. You would have to set it back fairly far... And I'm not even sure you can set back a sendero contour. The shank may be too short to allow adequate metal to support the chamber.

Setting a barrel back is not very cost effective. If that barrel is truly shot out or getting there, then there will be fire cracking a good ways down the tube. You would have to set it back fairly far... And I'm not even sure you can set back a sendero contour. The shank may be too short to allow adequate metal to support the chamber.
Yes, you can set-back a Sendero contour barrel. The only issues is when you set-back a barrel, is that you're only prlonging the inevitable. You might get another 150 shots, or possible 300... You just never know. Depends on how far the throat has been cracked and damaged will determine how many more rounds you'll get out of it.

Your tight budget comment has me weakening. I have a new Sendaro SS barrel in 25-06 which I was going to rechamber to 257 Weatherby. I borescoped it and it is in excellent shape.

I will sell it to you for what I paid, $150 shipping included. You might even get lucky and have it headspace correctly. This has happened quite a few times with my friends and myself when putting on Rem takeoffs.

If you are interested just say something here and we will work out the details privately.

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.