Remington 700 -- Any years to avoid?

Remington actually went into bankruptcy in 2018 and 2020. They were liquidated in 2020 with Vista Outdoors buying the ammunition side, Rugar picking up the Marlin side and a private investment group buying the Remington Ilion, NY firearms plant and reopening it as RemArms.

There were some reported issues with quality. As I recall the primary issue was with primary extraction timing of the bolt affecting the extraction of the fired cartridge. In some cases it required removing and reattaching the bolt handle. The current issues for us Rem owners is spare parts. For a while you couldn't find things like extractors but PTG started making them. Be aware that factory support for older Remington products is probably hit or miss.
If you own a short action you can buy an excellent complete bolt from Mack Bros. If you get a stripped receiver even better you can just customize however you want with the robust aftermarket. The Mack Bros bolt is the best in the biz, I have one. My only complaint is that they don't make a long action bolt because I would snap one up in a heartbeat. If you plan on just having a factory Remington 700 the pre sandy hook years are what you should look for but you still are going to be tossing out the trigger. The best thing about a Rem 700 IMO is not the rifle, it's the aftermarket and what you can do to make that rifle perfect for you. If you just want to run a factory set up on something in that price bracket consider a Tikka T3x, or Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard, Sauer 100, Mauser 18 as alternatives.

It's funny that in the last 45 years I have owned or presently own over 50 Remingtons and never had an issue with the bolt other than broken ejector spring and I am not exactly easy on stuff.
Since it happens on fewer than 1:1000 rifles you probably never will.

The problem is, you won't know you have a problem till one does snap off and if that's at a critical time there's nothing you can do about it.

This is an issue that's been around for a very long time and is well known so it's not like I'm making it up.

As I said though, the fixes are also well known and are rather inexpensive.

My Rems are all good... Regardless of the negative comments.
Years ago... and still today, I culled all of my rifles that didn't shoot under .7 MOA CONSISTENTLY regardless of manufacturer, caliber or custom...etc.
Of all the FACTORY rifles I have...I have no Browning rifles in my possession. I have a few Ruger 77's, Winchester 70's, Savage's and one Howa (because they shoot very well) and the rest ... yep, the old horrible, terrible, inaccurate, problematic Remington 700's.
Well no they certainly are not "all good" as evidenced by all the people who have had problems with them over the years.

The main advantage to the M700 is all the aftermarket support and the fact there's so many of them any gunsmith other than those specializing in others is going to have the experience and fixtures to work on them.

I prefer 2010 and earlier
That's exactly my sentiments, the older ones had ,imo, easier triggers to get right and more attention to detail. Before I'd chance a newer Remington I'd opt for a Savage M10, M12. There is a lot to recommend them such as floating bolt face and easily changed barrels via barrel nut. Not to mention easily changed bolt face as well.
Another option that I'd entertain is a custom action with a Remington footprint to take advantage of all the great stocks available.

That love is expensive 😬
It can be depending on what your standards are. There is always the age old axiom= really good or really good enough. If your accuracy standard is .5, that's pretty easily attainable and will suffice for most hunting situations. If you want .1-.2s it gets costly, quickly!!

Well no they certainly are not "all good" as evidenced by all the people who have had problems with them over the years.

The main advantage to the M700 is all the aftermarket support and the fact there's so many of them any gunsmith other than those specializing in others is going to have the experience and fixtures to work on them
My Rems are all good... Regardless of the negative comments.
Years ago... and still today, I culled all of my rifles that didn't shoot under .7 MOA CONSISTENTLY regardless of manufacturer, caliber or custom...etc.
Of all the FACTORY rifles I have...I have no Browning rifles in my possession. I have a few Ruger 77's, Winchester 70's, Savage's and one Howa (because they shoot very well) and the rest ... yep, the old horrible, terrible, inaccurate, problematic Remington 700's.
Re-Read the first word of my post!...MY
My Rems are all good!

At first I really was not amused with this thread now I'm rather enjoying it , in The Last 5 Years alone I have had two HOWAS that would not shoot better than 2 1/2 inches both I 223r 1:12 .
5 months ago I had a TIKKA Varmint a 1 in 8 twist I measured the twist it was correct would not group anything over a 55 grain bullet better than 3 inches got rid of that piece-of-s*** real quick Remington has had haters for decades and they will have haters for decades more I just wish I could find more second-hand ones cheap.

Discussions like this are always disappointing. The same guy that says he can't afford a proper custom rifle, will spend 6x that over a 10 year period, filling his vault with cheap trash every few paychecks. "I wish I could afford a rifle like that," they'll say after shooting one of my rifles. Then usually during the course of conversation I find out they have over 15 savage or similarly priced rifles, all with an average price of $600-$1000... and usually more if all the accessories, optics, ammo, dies, components for all those rifles is tallied up.

When someone says they can't afford something in this discipline... what they are really saying is that they have absolutely no ability to control their finances any better than a typical crack head.

You can get a brand new Zermatt Origin with a prefit barrel from any number of sources for $1500. Another couple hundred for a triggertech special trigger. Another $450 for a KRG bravo chassis for it all... and you're in business. It will likely be ten times better than any factory remington at any price. Or... you can buy a setup like the from the classifieds on this forum or others, which are being sold every day for nearly half what they cost new.

Look, there's an even better Zermatt action... the TL3, in a package with 3 barrels and a ton of accessories for $3550.

As it pertains to remingtons, once upon a time they were a company that represented American ingenuity. Now, they are a defunct example of most peoples desire to worship money above all things. That mindset is doomed to failure, always has been, and always will be.

People buy cheap, then throw seemingly unlimited money at "fixing" the trash they bought. I've seen these mistakes play out over my entire career... and made all the same mistakes when I got started. Back then, it made sense, but only for a short period of time. Eventually the flood of reasonably priced custom actions showed up... and the buying low and fixing it up thing in the traditional sense became very stupid quite quickly. Even the very best custom actions in the game today still need to be gone through by someone competent, but the number of things that need to be fixed is at an all time low.

Remington, howa, tikka, mossberg, savage, browning, marlin, etc etc etc. On and on it goes. It's all a lottery. Some have better odds than others, but it's gambling all the same. You open your box, put your scope on, and go shooting... very much the same way you would buy a scratch off ticket and start scratching. Some people like that sort of thing. Some people will let their entire lives devolve into ruin for the sake of that feeling. They'll advocate it here and everywhere else, because they don't want to feel like losers, and the more people they can get to do likewise... the less an idiot they feel. It's an incorrect hypothesis... but that's what they do, none the less.

Then there are other people. People that care about things in their lives. They don't like gambling, so they don't do it. They save their money until they can cover a deposit on a rifle. They find a reputable rifle smith that is willing to guarantee the result. They get 1-on-1 personalized support as they get talked through every aspect of what they are going to do. Every detail of how their rifle will be. They pay the deposit, and set out to continue saving to cover the rest while the smith goes to work on their unique and special rifle. When the rifle is finished, the smith goes and shoots it, and it's a laser. The customer receives it, and it wasn't gambling that happened. The customer traded money for an experience... and the experience is only just started. Every time that rifle goes out, it means something... both to the smith, and the owner. When someone buys something from us, that's what it feels like for me. Meaningful, genuine, and fulfilling.

That's how I feel when I commission a rifle build. That's how I feel when I deliver that rifle to a customer. People that roll from one instance of instant gratification to the next, will never know the contentment of an experience like that. They lead hollow reactionary lives of resentment and panic. Their time spent trying to justify whatever they've done, rather than evaluating what they should do before they do it.

Reading these types of threads is difficult for me. Some lack experience. Some lack logic. Some are trying to mislead people so they don't feel so lonely having been misled themselves. Some gambled and got lucky, so out of apathy they think everyone else will be just as lucky if they do likewise. Some people are just plain ignorant and have no clue what they are talking about at all. Precious few seem to know what they are talking about, but they are always marginalized by the mob. No matter which way it goes, anyone that is thinking of making a purchase based on the strength of anything that is said here will do well to evaluate the reality of the present world very carefully before spending money. Make sure your perception of things lines up with the reality of things. If you don't know how to ensure that, find a mentor that can help you with it.

You either like gambling, or you don't.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Get a custom action. Several out there in the 800$ range or a tikka around 600$. Won't ever own another Rem.

Discussions like this are always disappointing. The same guy that says he can't afford a proper custom rifle, will spend 6x that over a 10 year period, filling his vault with cheap trash every few paychecks. "I wish I could afford a rifle like that," they'll say after shooting one of my rifles. Then usually during the course of conversation I find out they have over 15 savage or similarly priced rifles, all with an average price of $600-$1000... and usually more if all the accessories, optics, ammo, dies, components for all those rifles is tallied up.

When someone says they can't afford something in this discipline... what they are really saying is that they have absolutely no ability to control their finances any better than a typical crack head.

You can get a brand new Zermatt Origin with a prefit barrel from any number of sources for $1500. Another couple hundred for a triggertech special trigger. Another $450 for a KRG bravo chassis for it all... and you're in business. It will likely be ten times better than any factory remington at any price. Or... you can buy a setup like the from the classifieds on this forum or others, which are being sold every day for nearly half what they cost new.

Look, there's an even better Zermatt action... the TL3, in a package with 3 barrels and a ton of accessories for $3550.

As it pertains to remingtons, once upon a time they were a company that represented American ingenuity. Now, they are a defunct example of most peoples desire to worship money above all things. That mindset is doomed to failure, always has been, and always will be.

People buy cheap, then throw seemingly unlimited money at "fixing" the trash they bought. I've seen these mistakes play out over my entire career... and made all the same mistakes when I got started. Back then, it made sense, but only for a short period of time. Eventually the flood of reasonably priced custom actions showed up... and the buying low and fixing it up thing in the traditional sense became very stupid quite quickly. Even the very best custom actions in the game today still need to be gone through by someone competent, but the number of things that need to be fixed is at an all time low.

Remington, howa, tikka, mossberg, savage, browning, marlin, etc etc etc. On and on it goes. It's all a lottery. Some have better odds than others, but it's gambling all the same. You open your box, put your scope on, and go shooting... very much the same way you would buy a scratch off ticket and start scratching. Some people like that sort of thing. Some people will let their entire lives devolve into ruin for the sake of that feeling. They'll advocate it here and everywhere else, because they don't want to feel like losers, and the more people they can get to do likewise... the less an idiot they feel. It's an incorrect hypothesis... but that's what they do, none the less.

Then there are other people. People that care about things in their lives. They don't like gambling, so they don't do it. They save their money until they can cover a deposit on a rifle. They find a reputable rifle smith that is willing to guarantee the result. They get 1-on-1 personalized support as they get talked through every aspect of what they are going to do. Every detail of how their rifle will be. They pay the deposit, and set out to continue saving to cover the rest while the smith goes to work on their unique and special rifle. When the rifle is finished, the smith goes and shoots it, and it's a laser. The customer receives it, and it wasn't gambling that happened. The customer traded money for an experience... and the experience is only just started. Every time that rifle goes out, it means something... both to the smith, and the owner. When someone buys something from us, that's what it feels like for me. Meaningful, genuine, and fulfilling.

That's how I feel when I commission a rifle build. That's how I feel when I deliver that rifle to a customer. People that roll from one instance of instant gratification to the next, will never know the contentment of an experience like that. They lead hollow reactionary lives of resentment and panic. Their time spent trying to justify whatever they've done, rather than evaluating what they should do before they do it.

Reading these types of threads is difficult for me. Some lack experience. Some lack logic. Some are trying to mislead people so they don't feel so lonely having been misled themselves. Some gambled and got lucky, so out of apathy they think everyone else will be just as lucky if they do likewise. Some people are just plain ignorant and have no clue what they are talking about at all. Precious few seem to know what they are talking about, but they are always marginalized by the mob. No matter which way it goes, anyone that is thinking of making a purchase based on the strength of anything that is said here will do well to evaluate the reality of the present world very carefully before spending money. Make sure your perception of things lines up with the reality of things. If you don't know how to ensure that, find a mentor that can help you with it.

You either like gambling, or you don't.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This needs to be a sticky. Spot on brother.

The way I see it sub half inch is sub half inch no matter what you spend with the three remingtons that I put together a 223 260 Remington and I actually bought a sandero so I never put that one together all of them sub half inch rifles how is spending another $5,000 going to make them any more accurate I don't get.
This is at prices .
Also now I must admit this was a strange 1 on the very few times that I've ever been to a range there was a bloke there who had over $7,000 AU in this particular rifle in 300 WIN MAG stiller action tac30 think it was Lilja barrel 26" blah blah blah we go up to the target he's got 4 to 6 inch groups at 500y I've got lovely little clusters he came up and asked me to shoot his rifle so I did ended up with roughly to 3 inch groups Just a smidgen small than mine maybe point one if you're lucky money is not everything.

Last edited:
The way I see it sub half inch is sub half inch no matter what you spend with the three remingtons that I put together a 223 260 Remington and I actually bought a sandero so I never put that one together all of them sub half inch rifles how is spending another $5,000 going to make them any more accurate I don't get.
This is at prices .
At 100yds? I'd like to see this.

These types of statements are so predictable in threads like this, I can almost set my clock by them. The issue is, it's never based on a real evaluation of the rifles in question. It doesn't actually happen the way it's claimed. It's based on overly-inflated ideas of what people's rifles are capable of. I've demonstrated my full customs are able to do this, many times... over and over again. I've only seen a full factory (completely unmodified) rifle do this one time in my life. Yeah sure, everyone is happy to fire umpteen rounds and take their picture of the 3 rounds that accidentally touched 2" from POA. ... but there sure doesn't seem to be much actual evidence of what you claim happening on the regular.

Setup a camera on you, set up another one on the target. No video editing allowed. No cuts, not effects... nothing. Use the camera on you, to view through a LRF for range confirmation for a 100yd target. Fire 5 separate sequential 3-shot groups at 5 separate points of aim. Do this with all 3 of your rifles mentioned above. Then measure the groups. If all of the groups are less than 0.5" center to center... I'll send you $1000 U.S. If no round fired is farther than 0.25" from the center of POA, (actual sub-1/2" accuracy) I'll send you another $1000 U.S.

You get one chance, not just keep trying every day until you pull it off... If you fail, you owe me $2000 U.S. Deal?

Would that put the brakes on these types of nonsensical posturing posts I wonder? If you actually attempted this... you'd probably have more groups closer to 1 MOA than you had closer to half MOA. At least that's what I typically see when I'm mentoring shooters and evaluating their performance. Yet, their performance ALWAYS universally improves when I get them off their rifle and put them on mine.

Even IF what you're saying is true... what happens when you go to rebarrel that action? The smith is just going to shove the barrel on there without addressing the almost certain deficiencies of the factory rem700? Nope, you'll pile money onto that thing to no end on that first rebarrel... and you'll still be left with a rem700 afterward.

Oh wait, I forgot... no one rebarrels. Most peoples post counts outnumber their rounds fired by a ratio of 100 to 1. I'm being pretty heavy handed here, and I realize that. Maybe too much so, but I'm so unbelievably tired of feeling the anguish people have after they've been mislead by this type of thread. I don't mean to single you out @deadidarren, however... it's not 2002 anymore. It's 2022. Everyone has the ability to back up their claims, and if they are going to make claims such as have been made... I think its time we start demanding that evidence before accepting it at face value.

I will also concede that it is possible to get a good rifle at a lower price point which can provide tremendous value. However, the percentage of instances where that does not work out, is high enough that people in my position see it nearly every single day. This is not a trivial problem. This is a systemic perpetuation of a false narrative by the well-meaning but uninformed which leads unsuspecting people to waste thousands of dollars.

Nearly impossible for the truth to be discussed in any context around subjects such as this, without ruffling feathers. The fact is, you need a certain level of exposure in the industry before you have the perspective required to see the real impact of this topic. Most are too busy with their non-shooting-related lives to have that perspective. I've said what I needed to say to convey that perspective I hope, but I'll step aside from here on in this thread and let whatever silly claims that get made, pass unchallenged.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Last edited:
At first I really was not amused with this thread now I'm rather enjoying it , in The Last 5 Years alone I have had two HOWAS that would not shoot better than 2 1/2 inches both I 223r 1:12 .
5 months ago I had a TIKKA Varmint a 1 in 8 twist I measured the twist it was correct would not group anything over a 55 grain bullet better than 3 inches got rid of that piece-of-s*** real quick Remington has had haters for decades and they will have haters for decades more I just wish I could find more second-hand ones cheap.
I used to get them off the big online sites, but even those sites have been b s crazy for a very long time. It seems they've all become the owners of one of kind of firearms from their prices.