Remington 700 -- Any years to avoid?

Remington actually went into bankruptcy in 2018 and 2020. They were liquidated in 2020 with Vista Outdoors buying the ammunition side, Rugar picking up the Marlin side and a private investment group buying the Remington Ilion, NY firearms plant and reopening it as RemArms.

There were some reported issues with quality. As I recall the primary issue was with primary extraction timing of the bolt affecting the extraction of the fired cartridge. In some cases it required removing and reattaching the bolt handle. The current issues for us Rem owners is spare parts. For a while you couldn't find things like extractors but PTG started making them. Be aware that factory support for older Remington products is probably hit or miss.

Hey, I have a bunch of 700's. I bought most of them years ago. Everyone of them are shooters. From a 375 H&H down to a 6mm rem, all shoot under MOA, most with a couple different loads. The 7-08 shoots almost every load I've ever tested in it under MOA.
I know there are a bunch of guys on here that only shoot custom actions, etc. But there are also a bunch that mostly are guys shooting factory guns trying to learn. I know Remington was run into the ground by idiots trying to make every dime and not really caring about the product.
Wow, long post when all I was trying to say was all 700's aren't bad.
Take Care

I have limited experience with the Remington 700. About 3 years ago I bought a Rem 700 North American SS 30-06 built in their Custom Shop in Sturgis, SD. So my experience is not with the standard production models. This version of the rifle seems flawless. I did replace the trigger with a Timney, but it is in every way a well finished and refined rifle.

I have a 223 700 ADL Varmint circa 2009. Low end rifle from Dicks Sporting Goods. Granted I replaced the trigger and and stock but its a sub .4 MOA 5 shot rifle. Also a 2012 SPS tactical 308 that is a sub .5 MOA 5 shot rifle. replaced the stock and trigger. These were low end $ rifles to start with and were project rifles.

Remington sold many rifles through big box stores and many were low priced and to get that the stocks were the path. As for the triggers the XMarkPro isn't a bad trigger but it isn't a great trigger for bench rest or other target uses. You get what you pay for.

I have seen most major suppliers rifles with issues at some point. That includes higher end rifles like Christensen Arms, Ruger Precision, Tikkas with issues. I am not bad mouthing any of these because as far as I know all the issues were fixed.

I'm more concerned about the future of RemArms as a manufacturer of firearms. I would hate to see Remington go the way of Winchester.

I have several - range from 80s-early 2000's.

They all shoot. I will say, that I've spun on remage barrels, replaced the stock and the triggers. So there is money put in to them, but still cheaper than any custom.

I will say though, you need to get the action at a good price, because if you don't, then it doesn't make sense. For the price I've seen for some used rifles or actions, you could get a nice custom for a few extra $.

Last edited: