Remington .270 Long Range?

It really depends on what barrel and bullets you want to use. If you will be using conventional bullets in both calibers the 280 will give you an edge in ballistic and terminal performance.

If you use some of the new custom Wildcat Bullets in the 270, I would say the two are basically identical in the field. They are so close it really comes down to if you will use conventional bullets or custom bullets.

Kirby Allen(50)

If you are getting .75 MOA with FACTORY ammo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your barrel and waste of money to rebarrel at this stage, especially since you do not reload.

You must reload to really take advantage of a custom barrel and set up. So save your money from rebarreling, buy a reloading setup and stay with that barrel until it goes or you get more money to burn.

PS Read Dan Liljas site about his LR gun in 270 caliber for 1000 yard dynamite shoots with 130 and 150 Nosler ballistic tips. It was also published in the 1993 Precision shooting Annual Vol 2. Dan has copy of article.

BH

[ QUOTE ]

PS Read Dan Liljas site about his LR gun in 270 caliber for 1000 yard dynamite shoots with 130 and 150 Nosler ballistic tips. It was also published in the 1993 Precision shooting Annual Vol 2. Dan has copy of article.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Great article. If I recall, that was a 270 Weatherby with a 30" bbl. right?

Yes, but shows that the 270 Btip is a good and accurate bullet if worked right.

Point I was making is there is nothing wrong with your set up now using factory loads. Better use of money at this stage is to learn to reload and later figure out what you want to rebarrel to.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.